Chapter 11

I wiped the tears from my face and headed towards the sofa, picking up my laptop from the table and sitting down. After covering myself with the blanket beside me, I lifted up the lid and typed in my password.

It was long, and seemed random, but was not. It consisted of the first letters of the most important people to me, with alternating capitals. Between each letter is a number, Violetta's birthday to be specific. Then finally is Gabi's birthday wth an exclamation mark. This leaves my password as:

a2M6p6G9v5G1705!

One thing I had learnt is that it is best to have a password that is hard for people to guess.

After logging in, I opened up my photos and clicked on the album that had photos of German and I. As the pictures slid across my screen, memories flooded into my mind. On the screen before me was all I had given up to come to France.

I turned to look at Gabi's bedroom. The light was out so I knew she was sleeping. I knew going to German's wedding was what I needed to do, but there were still questions.

Would I take Gabi?

Would I tell German about Gabi?

I knew he deserved to know, but if he did marry her, if he went through with it, what would happen then?

When I focused on the screen again, the pictures were no longer sliding across the screen and the last one remained there. A picture of German and I that Violetta took the night before I left.

I looked to Gabi's door again as it creaked open and she walked into the living room, hugging her teddy bear tightly.

"Mummy, who's that?" She asked, pointing to my computer screen.

"That's my friend, he lives in Argentina." I explained, hoping she would leave it at that.

"But why are you kissing him? Is he your prince?"

The answer popped straight into my head.

Of course he is my prince.

I was just about to reply to Gabi when there was a knock at the door. Then another. Then another. They continued rapidly until I opened the door and saw Michael standing there. I smiled when I saw him, but he just pushed past me and stormed inside. 

"Hi, are you okay?" I asked, closing the door and following him.

"You're going to his wedding?"

As soon as he spoke, Gabi's eyes began to well up with tears.

"Sit down and wait for me here." I said to Michael as I headed over to Gabi and walked her back to her room.

I tucked her back into her sheets and sat on the bed.

"Whose wedding Mummy?" She asked.

"Just a friend."

"The friend you were kissing?" She looked excited at the thought of it.

"Yes, the friend Mummy kissed, German."

"Why was the man shouting?"

"Because I didn't tell him, but I'm going to go and talk to him, so goodnight sweetie."

"I have one more question, is German going to be my daddy?"

"Goodnight honey."

I kissed her forehead and left the room before she could ask again.

I walked back into the living room and saw Michael sitting on the sofa, staring at the wall.

Before I could say anything, he spoke.

"Why Angie? Why are you going to his wedding?"

I couldn't explain it. There was no guarantee that if I went anything could happen, but there was a chance. A chance that I could get it all back.

"Well?"

He expected an answer.

"I just have to, I'm sorry."

"Please don't. I want you to be here with me. This is your home. This is your daughter's home. This is where we can be together."

He sounded desperate, but not as desperate as German.

"Please Angie."

I sighed. I didn't want to do it, but I had to.

"You should leave Michael. Please."

Without arguing, he stood and walked away, closing the door it's so little force that it stayed on the latch, not closing fully.

I quickly blinked back the tears and walked to my room. Taking one last look around, I took the two packed suitcases from under my bed and wheeled them into the living room.

Quietly, I opened the door to Gabi's room and walked over to the bed.

"Gabi, sweetie, are you still awake?"

As I spoke, she sat up and nodded.

"You remember German?" I asked, slowly brushing her hair out of her face.

Her face lit up at the mention of his name and she nodded again.

"Do you want to come with me to his wedding?"