Chapter 17

Everyone turned to face the back of the church as German burst through the doors.

They slammed shut behind him as he staggered up the aisle. He was grabbing the back of the pews for support. As he passed me, he blew a kiss in my direction and I grabbed his arm.

"Are you drunk?" I whispered as loudly as I could.

"No."

He pulled away and turned to face me, walking backwards up the steps.

"Maybe a little."

Before I could glare at him, he turned around to face Anastasia and gave her a long kiss on the lips before standing where he was supposed to.

The ceremony began and it was far from normal. German slurred his words and kept smiling at me. Although Anastasia was obviously not thrilled with the circumstances she remained calm.

I, on the other hand, was not calm. My blood was boiling. Watching him up there, with no regard for anyone.

My thoughts were interrupted by the vows.

"Repeat after me. I, Anastasia Prior."

"I, Anastasia Prior."

"Take thee German Castillo."

"To be my lawfully wedded husband."

She then continued with the rest of the vows. Next, the priest looked to German.

"Repeat after me. I, German Castillo."

"I, German Castillo."

"Take thee Anastasia Prior"

German turned to look in my direction, his eyes on me as he spoke his next words.

"Take thee Angie Carrara."

As soon as he said my name, all the heads in the room turned to me. Some gasped, some whispered things, but I didn't care. German started walking over to me but I didn't want to hear it.

I stood and began to walk quickly towards the door. I heard German stumbling behind me, but I didn't turn to look, I just carried on until I was out of the church, then went round the corner and allowed my back to slide down the wall.