Chapter 22

I tapped my keys nervously on the table as I waited for German for show up. I was anxious for several reasons - firstly, I didn't  know how to tell him, and secondly, I didn't know how he'd react.

As I was looking down at my hands, I saw a shadow appear on my table.

"What could you possibly have to say that could make you this nervous?"

I looked up at him.

"How do you know I'm nervous, I'm not nervous."

"Come on Angie, I know you." German said, pulling back his seat and sitting in it.

"Now what is it you needed to say - you're not pregnant after last night are you?"

"No - we didn't even do that, and it would be too early."

He sighed a sigh of relief.

"Good, because a child is not what I need in my life right now."

After he spoke, he laughed, but everything around me went quiet, how could I tell him after that?

My mind was racing with ways I could get out of it, and I didn't realise that I wasn't paying attention until I felt someone shaking my shoulders and repeating my name.

"We need to go, now Angie - it's an emergency."

***

I couldn't catch my breath when we got to the house, but that didn't stop me from running to Vilu as I saw the smoke rising from it.

"Where is she?"

All she could do was cry as she pointed to the house - which was now slowly being engulfed by flames.

Everything went slow motion - like in a movie as I ran to the house, her words barely audible to me anymore. I only stopped when I heard German shouting my name.

"Angie! Don't go in, please, wait for the firefighters to get her!"

I looked him in the eyes and heard a loud crash behind me, I knew I couldn't go in, not alone.

"Please German, do something."

He wasn't doing anything, he remained planted, and then I did the only thing I could think of.

"She's my daughter, our daughter!"

German froze and I couldn't believe what I had said, then, he bolted in and I couldn't move, just stare after him as he ran into the building.

The next few minutes felt like hours. There was no noise, nothing, everything was silent. I could tell that everyone was behind me, but none of them approached me, none of them knew what to say. And neither did I as I saw German, covered in smoke, carrying our daughter out of the burning building.

I rushed over and then everything moved so quickly. As soon as I reached her side the paramedics arrived and took her in an ambulance. They were doing all kinds of things, but I couldn't understand a word of what they were saying, the only thing I could do was lean into German and sob.