Chapter 20

"Go away." I said to the billionth knock on the door. After the events of the past few hours, I had made the executive decision to hide under my duvet. I didn't want to answer any questions, nothing.

Vilu had agreed to watch Gabi and German had disappeared again. No one had heard from Anastasia.

There were more knocks at the door, and I gave the same answer, but I heard the locks clock and the door swung open. I buried my head under the pillow, but sat bolt upright when I heard his voice.

"Angie?"

My first reaction was to hurl the lamp at him, but realising that that was plugged into the wall, I instead chose to simply confront him. I got out of the bed, suddenly cold in my shorts and vest. My bare feet writhed as they made contact with the cold hard wood floor.

"You humiliated me German, in front of everyone, in front of my daughter."

"I know Angie, I'm sorry."

I stared at him in disbelief.

"Did you just apologise to me? You break my heart, don't speak to me for years, and all I get is an I'm sorry?"

He sighed.

"You're angry that I feel remorse? Would you rather I wasn't sorry?"

The discussion had barely any point. Neither of our arguments were rational, but to us, they seemed perfectly logical.

"No, I want you to stop needing to apologise. I want you to stop putting me in positions where no matter what you have have done, no matter how bad it is, I still find a way I forgive you against my better judgement."

"Then why don't you stay angry? Why don't you leave me?"

"Because I love you!" I exclaimed.

"Well that appears to be the problem, doesn't it, so stop loving me." German's response was shocking to me.

"I can't!"

The words had left my mouth before I realised what I was saying.

"So we're done, this can never happen again."

The clarification he gave seemed final, but completely contrasted his actions.

Both of us stared into one another's eyes, and then, in a split second, his lips were locked with mine and his hands were lifting up my vest.

Every single part of my body and my conscience was telling me it was a bad idea, but something, one tiny part of me overpowered my better judgement and I couldn't bring myself to pull back.