Chapter 15

"You came."

Stood before me was German.

For a moment, I couldn't believe the sight before my eyes. German stood in front of me in a white vest and suit trousers. The belt on the trousers was undone and there was a yellow stain across the front of the vest. His black socks had various holes in them. In one hand he held a glass of whiskey and the other held the door as he leaned on it. The circles under his eyes were dark as if he hadn't slept in days.

"German, hi."

"Please, come in."

His voice was rough and tired, monotonous.

I stepped in and looked around the room.

"So how have you been?"

He took a long swig of whiskey before replying.

"Fine."

I glanced around the apartment. The walls were still purple like they had been when I left, but the paint was chipped and the wallpaper was peeling. There were clothes all over the floor and nothing work related at all. On the kitchen table there was an open bottle and in the sink were several empty ones, as well as a pile of dirty dishes beside it.

"Don't mind me being so abrupt, but what are you doing here Angie?"

To profess my undying love for you and to stop you getting married didn't sound right, so I went for, "Violetta was worried about you. Not to mention your wedding is starting soon and you aren't ready."

He looked down at himself and walked over to the sofa.

I followed and took a seat beside him, moving the crumpled up shirt.

"German, are you okay?" I asked, placing my hand on his thigh.

He brushed it off and replied.

"I'm fine."

His aggressiveness was not normal. Whilst I understood that he would have some resentment towards me for leaving, this hostility was far from his normal behaviour.

I was about to ask again when I felt my phone vibrate. I checked it and saw messages from Violetta as well as a message from Pablo.

I checked Pablo's message first, thinking it could be about Gabi. I clicked on it to see a picture of her sat by the piano in Pablo's house, and a video I decided I would watch later. German's house would not be the best place to do so.

Then I opened Violetta's messages. They were all asking if I had found German yet.

I replied telling her that I had and I would phone her when I left.

"Who were you just texting?" German asked.

He glared down at my phone.

"Just Violetta, she wanted to know if I had found you."

He looked the most alert I had seen him the whole time I was there after I mentioned her name.

"You went to the house? You spoke to Violetta? Did you tell her where I am?"

"Yes I did, but I need to speak to you."

He glared at me.

"Get out."

He looked dead serious, but I couldn't believe what he was saying.

"No, I need to ask you something. I spoke to Olga. Why did you ask her to throw away my sister's things."

His eyes were empty. His expression was unreadable. Nothing changed and his face stayed stone cold.

"I said get out."

I stormed over to the door, but before slamming it behind me, I turned around. His back was to the door, but I knew he would listen. Even if he didn't, I didn't care.

"What's wrong with you German? Okay, I get it, you know. Maria, Jade, Esmeralda, me. But, really? You know, you are acting like you are the victim here, but guess what everyone has to put up with bad stuff, and you have something really great going for you. You have a daughter who loves you and is worried because she doesn't know where you are. You have a woman waiting to marry you who loves you. You have a soon to be son-in-law who cares about your family. Guess what? I understand that you don't want to remember Jade or Esmeralda, and even me, but Maria? She never did anything. I at least thought you'd have the decency to keep her things."

He stayed stood where he was. He didn't turn around or say a word.

"I came here to get you to come back for your wedding, to convince you that it would be a good idea. Or maybe I came to convince you not to marry her, to marry me instead. But now?"

I didn't know where I was going with that, but I had to finish it.

I sighed and spoke quietly.

"Everyone's gonna be there German. If there is any of the old you in there, any of the you that I loved, come to the wedding. Even if it's to call it off. Just come. We'll be waiting."

He turned his head and looked at me for a split second.

"I'll be waiting German."