Chapter 8

Sorry this chapter is short and a little bit rubbish, but I needed a filler chapter.

Regardless, this chapter is dedicated to @alexia_1_2 for all the votes and lovely comments.

+++

You are cordially invited to the marriage of:
Anastasia Prior & German Castillo
November 29th

A week after my phone conversation with German, and invitation arrived in the post. It arrived in a white envelope with a purple ribbon attached.

The black cursive writing had been so carefully written on the crisp white paper.

My finger gently traced his name. It felt so right, the way each letter curved felt so natural.

Something in my heart ached. I had never once imagined that German could be with another woman. Although I have seen it so many times, he has only gone through with it with my sister.

Although I had never really noticed it before, I had imagined him, Gabi and I living happily together, living as a normal family.

That won't happen now.

He was marrying her. He was serious about this. I couldn't believe I was about to lose him to her.

"Mummy?" Asked Gabi as she walked into my bedroom.

I quickly but carefully placed the invitation under my pillow.

"Yes sweetie?" I replied.

"What are you doing?"

Something told me I should tell her, but if I'm honest, I didn't want her to know any of it.

About how I loved him.

About how he hurt me.

About how I lost him.

About how he's getting married.

About how I'm considering attending.

"Nothing sweetie, why don't you go and wait in the kitchen and I will come and make you a snack."

She nodded and skipped off happily.

For a moment, my heart stopped aching for German, it skipped with joy just like my daughter did.

That's when my answer became clear.

She deserves a father.

She deserves to know.

But she also deserves a mother.

She deserves all she has right now.

German will break that.

He will break me.

As much as I longed to see him, to be with him, I just couldn't do it.

I couldn't allow myself to break down, to fall apart.

I needed to be a mum.

The only way to do that is to not allow him to break me.

I had decided.

I couldn't attend his wedding.