Chapter 14

"Excuse me?"

I was shocked. Had Olga really just said that German asked her to get rid of Maria's clothes, my sister's clothes and belongings?

"Yes, Mr German requested that the clothes no longer remain in the house."

I sighed.

"I just, I don't understand. Why would he do that?"

I walked over to the sofa and sat down.

She came and sat beside me and gently touched my arm.

"Miss Angie, it all started after you left. For the first few weeks, he just locked himself in his office - the only person he spoke to was Violetta. Then, he eventually started to come out more, but he had changed. He was back to how he had been before you came, only worse."

"But why did he throw out Maria's things?"

"Well, he met a woman, Anastasia, and within a few weeks they were already pretty serious, and soon after that he asked me to get rid of Maria's things, something about moving on and forgetting the past. Within a few months he proposed to her. The only thing holding off the wedding was Violetta. She kept telling her father that you would come back. His trip to visit you was his last attempt to win back your heart before the wedding."

"Right, well I think I need to have a little chat with him, once I find him that is."

And with that, I walked out of the door and to my mini.

Sat in the car, I turned the key in the ignition and held the wheel.

If I were German, where would I be?

The obvious answer would of course be his office, but he wasn't there. I knew there was no chance of him leaving any traces either. He is an intelligent man.

I called Violetta. She was only inside but I didn't really want to walk in on her and Leon.

"Hi Angie, what's up?"

"Your father. Do you have any idea where he could be?"

She was quiet for a moment.

"He might have gone to see Anastasia, but then again there's that whole seeing the bride bad luck thing."

"Where else?"

I heard her talking to Leon, then her shout out "Of course!"

"What Vilu? Where do you think he is?"

"Well, recently, my father has been staying at this apartment loads. He said he needed some space to work since wedding planning had taken over his office but Leon said it was practically empty last time he went there. No work stuff or anything."

That was odd. Of all people I didn't think German would be close with Leon.

"Well text me the address and I'll call you if I find him there."

"Okay, speak to you soon."

She hung up the phone and seconds later I got a text.

I began to drive. Although I hadn't been here in years, I could remember my way around like I never left. In fact, this route from their house to this appartment felt a little too familiar. Not until I pulled up did I realise how familiar it was, and upon looking at the address closely, I realised.

German had been staying in my old apartment.

I walked up the stairs in the building towards my old apartment. I knocked on the door and heard a shuffling noise inside, then nothing.

I knocked again.

Nothing.

"German!"

Another shuffling noise, but still no one answered.

"It's Angie, please open the door."

There was another shuffling noise, then silence. After a few moments, just as I lifted my hand up again to knock, the door opened.