Chapter 19

"Angie."

I glared at German as he staggered towards me.

"German."

"You stayed."

He looked at me in awe as he spoke, but I just laughed.

"Yeah, well the same can't be said for you."

He looked down at the ground, ashamed.

"Where were you anyway? Did you go home, or were you out drinking?"

I knew the answer, I could smell the alcohol on him.

He didn't answer, but pulled a flask out of his pocket. He lifted it up to his lips to drink, but I snatched it out of his hands and took a large swig.

"Hey, that's mine."

I laughed.

"Not anymore."

He glared at me.

"What are you doing out here anyway?"

"Well, things just got a bit too much in there. Your in-laws have spent the evening calling me the she-devil, not a name I appreciate, oh and your wife has spent the entirety of the reception crying in the bathroom, which means I am now the target of verbal abuse from some very drunk uncles who desperately needed to use the facility until about half an hour ago. Let's just say the bucket of ice for the champagne doesn't just have ice in it anymore."

I took another swig out of the flask.

"But apart from that it's all been smashing."

"Well why did you stay then?"

I thought for a second.

"For Violetta. And so I could do this when you would inevitably return to tell me that you're sorry and that I should forgive you."

I lifted my hand and slapped his cheek.

"What was that for?" He asked, well shouted, as though he was shocked.

"What was that for? I don't know, maybe it was for showing up drunk to your wedding and humiliating me in front of everyone? Or maybe it was for throwing your life away even though you have more things than most could wish for? Maybe it's because for all the years I've known you, and no matter how hard everyone has tried to change you, you refuse to try. Maybe it's because you waited until your wedding day to finally do anything about your feelings? Or maybe it's because I love you, and I can't let go of you, no matter how much distance I put between us, or how much you embarrass or hurt me."

I was just as shocked as he was at what I said, so much that I found myself walking back towards the building and away from German's shouts saying he was sorry. As soon as the doors swung shut behind me, there was silence in the grand hall.

Everyone stared at me and it appeared as though I missed a lot outside.

Anastasia was stood in the centre of the room, her mascara streaked down her face and people were comforting her. Everyone else was gathered into small groups whispering. I had no clue what was going on, but I can only assume what happened next made it worse.

The doors swung open and German stormed in.

"You know what Angie? I'm not sorry. I'm not sorry I fell in love with you, I'm not sorry I waited until now to tell you. I'm not sorry about any of it."

Everyone gasped and I quickly ducked to avoid the bouquet of flowers that was hurtling towards me from Anastasia's direction. I don't know whether they were aimed at me or German, but I sure was glad they hit him in the face and not me.

I was about to make a comment back to German, but before I could, I heard a voice behind me and froze.

"Mummy, please can we leave. There's too much shouting and I tired."