Chapter 1

Her high-pitched voice echoed throughout the house.

"READY OR NOT, HERE I COME!"

I was hiding behind the sofa. I knew it was an easy place, but I love the little smile she has when she finds me. She is like Vilu in that way, her smile.

I miss Violetta so much, and everyday I feel bad for leaving her. Since then so much has changed, and now it is almost impossible for me to return!

She was getting closer. I peeked around the side of the sofa and there she was. My daughter. She ran to my hiding place, her long blonde hair flowing behind her.

"Found you Mummy!" She shrieked with excitement as her bright blue eyes twinkled.

"Well done sweetie!" I replied, hugging her tightly. "What do you want to do now?"

It was the beginning of the holidays and I wanted to do as much as I could with her.

"What's you're favourite thing to do mummy?"

Obviously the answer was singing. But I didn't want Gabriela to choose that. I know I sound like German, but my reasons are different. It's not that I don't want her to sing, I just don't want to see her get hurt. And I fear that introducing her to music and my past will do just that.

"Whatever you want to do."

"Can we play with that?" She asked, pointing to the piano.

"You want to play the piano?"

"Yes, like you did in Buenos Ai-Ai-Ai..."

"Buenos Aires?"

"Yes."

"Who told you I played the piano."

"I watched you."

She saw my confused expression.

"Every night you sit at the piano and you play a song, then you talk about Buenos Ai-Ai-Ai...but I don't know who to."

I didn't know she had seen that. I really miss everything about Buenos Aires, but I don't want to take Gabriela there, ever. She doesn't know about German, Pablo or even Violetta, and I want it to stay that way. Even though it is hard for me, I have to do this for her.

"Mummy, can I show you something?"

She walked over to the piano and I followed her.

She looked over her shoulder at me and began to play a melody. Sure, it was simple, but to me it was one of the most beautiful tunes I have ever heard. It reminded me so much of Buenos Aires.

I turned to the clock behind me. It was getting late.

When I looked back over, I saw Vilu sitting there, playing the same tune Gabriela was.

"Violetta?"

She stopped playing.

"Who's Violetta?"

I blinked and realised it was Gabriela at the piano, not Vilu.

I looked into her sparkling eyes.

"Did you like it?"

I was just staring at her in disbelief.

"Mummy, was I good?"

"Where did you learn that song?"

"I heard you play it, did you like it?"

A smile came to my face and I relaxed. I was scared for a moment.

"I loved it."

"Yay!"

She jumped off the stool, ran over to me and leapt into my arms.

"Can we go to the park mummy?

"At 7 o'clock in the evening! What am I going to do with you Gabriela Carrara?"

"Go to the park!"

"I think it's time for bed, do you?"

"Will you read me a story?"

"Of course."

We slowly walked up the stairs and into her bedroom. She got changed very quickly then chose a book.

"Really? Cinderella again?"

She nodded eagerly.

When I reached the end of the story, I closed the book and placed it on the floor next to me.

"I love that story so much!" She exclaimed.

"And why is that?"

"Because at the end, the Princess finds her Prince. Do you have a Prince?"

I froze at this question.

Not knowing what to say, I pretended I hadn't heard.

"Goodnight sweetie."

I kissed her on the head and brushed back her hair then slowly left the room. Once the door was closed, I began to think about the same thing I did every night.

"Do you have a Prince?"

Gabriela knew that most children have a mummy and a daddy. But she only has a mummy.

I knew she would keep asking questions, and one day the question would come, who's my daddy?

But the thing is, I don't have any answers.