Chapter IV

I'm enjoying this site, I hope you guys enjoy reading this as much as I enjoy writing it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter IV: Eastgate Estate

Eastgate estate is huge. The entire grounds span for acres, and are truly a thing of beauty. James let me to the stables, which I loved. I've always loved horses, I grew up around them. James had two of the horses ready for us when we strolled up. The stable boy was quite the looker. He curls that fell like a chestnut halo around his head. His eyes were a warm honey brown and his skin was a lovely golden tan.

"Master James," he bowed.

"Thank you Ben," James smiled.

"And, I'm sorry, I haven't had the pleasure." He smiled at me.

"I'm Juliet," I smiled back, offering a hand. Instead of shaking it, he lifted it to his lips and laid a gentle kiss on it. I felt my cheeks flush. "It's a pleasure."

"I assure you, the pleasure is all mine."

James cleared his throat and gave us both a look which I wasn't sure how to take. Ben dropped my hand and led me to a black gelding. "This is Zeus, he's the gentlest horse we have here, he hasn't a clue how big he is."

James easily mounted his white mare easily. "Thank you, Ben."

"Would you like a leg up?" Ben offered, cupping his hands. I looked down at my converse, they weren't exactly made for riding, but oh well.

"That would be lovely." I let him help me up and it took me a moment to get situated. I'd learned to how to ride western. There hadn't been a need for me to learn English back then. I figured I'd just go with it.

"That will be all, Ben. I'll take it from here." James said, his tone was curt, and despite the friendly look on his face, it was obvious that it was an order.

"As you wish, Master James. Lady Juliet."

I watched Ben disappear into the barn and turned my attention back to James. James began to show me around the grounds, where the gardens were, the riding trails, the lake. James stopped his horse abruptly by the lake. "Juliet,"

"Yes?"

"You are so much like her."

"What?"

"You are so much like Rose."

"I have a question for you."

"What is that?"

"Why didn't you try to get a hold of me sooner? Why wait over twenty years? Why wait until after Mom . . ."

"I didn't know." There was a raw look in his eyes. "Apparently Rose had her will set up to send me a letter upon the event of her death. She must have written it years ago."

I eyed him suspiciously. "How could you not know?"

James sighed. "Did your mother ever speak of me?"

"No, not really. Whenever I asked, she'd just get a faraway look in her eyes and always had a sad smile. She said you were her first love. She never mentioned your name, and it made her so sad, I just stopped asking."

James nodded. "I did love your mother,"

"Then why didn't you stay with her?"

James looked taken aback. "Pardon?"

"You broke her heart, you know that, right? Seeing me everyday couldn't have helped. Come on, I look just like you."

James was staring at the reigns in his hands. The look on his face stopped my rant.