Chapter XXVII

Alright lovelies, this is a little early, and that is because I'm not sure I can update this weekend, if i can, I will, but I'd rather be early than late :D Now you should totally do the voting and then enjoy the chapter :D

Chapter XXVII: The Past Can't Stay Hidden Forever

Things were looking up. After another week, I was cleared and allowed to do some stuff for myself again. I was cautioned against physical activity, which I would have ignored if not for Xavier's careful mothering. Don't get me wrong, it was sweet, but annoying. I was excited for the chill in the air of fall. Fall was my favorite season growing up. Everything just seemed to be winding down and family was always close at hand around this time of year. Things were definitely looking up.

I was taking Loki for his usual walk when I stopped dead in my tracks. Leaning up against a tree was a crooked nose and icy blue eyes I didn't want to see.

"What are you doing here?"

Loki sensed my tension and raised his hackles as a low growl vibrated through him.

"I came to talk."

"I don't want to talk to you, Chase."

"Come on, Jules, at least let me apologize."

I sighed. "Chase, I can't trust you. You need to leave me alone. Come on, Loki," I turned and started to walk away when someone grabbed my arm and spun me round. Loki's growl thundered through him now, teeth bared. "Let go of me, Chase."

"Call your dog off."

"Let go of me, Chase."

"If your dog bites me, I'll see to it that it gets put down."

"And you wanted to apologize? Loki, come." I tried to yank my arm free, but Chase's grip tightened. "Chase, you're hurting me, let go."

"Juliet, I need to apologize."

"Not like this. You're hurting me, now let go or I'm going to call the cops and press assault charges and get a restraining order."

"Look, Jules, you remember my father don't you?" Chase asked as he loosened his grip. "He wants to set things right."

"You mean he wants to protect his precious image." I pointed out in a flat tone.

Chase gave me a sheepish smile. "Yeah, you remember him. So, can I apologize to you?"

"If you're truly sorry, you'll find a way to show it, words mean nothing to me."

"Jules, he's campaigning, just let me apologize in public."

"I'll make you a deal."

Chase looked up. "Really?"

"If you will get out of my life, completely out of it, and I mean for the rest of it, I will let you."

Chase smiled and visibly relaxed. "Thank you."

"When and where?" I sighed. I can't believe I was actually going to do this.

"Dad is hosting a benefit dinner, he'll be talking a lot of campaigning so a lot of his benefactors will be there."

"When is it?"

"Next Saturday night."

"What time?"

"The dinner starts at 8 so be there around 6?"

"Where?"

"Our house."

I nodded. "I'll be there, but Chase, I meant what I said."