Chapter XI

Chapter XI: The Morning After . . .

I felt myself being lifted out of the car. "Come along, love," Harper smiled. I cuddled against his chest. He was so warm.

"You're cuddly," I murmured. I felt the pull of sleep. I liked the way his chest vibrated when he laughed.

"Don't get too cozy," Gwen warned, I'm not sure if it was to me or to Harper. "Harper, I'm going to show you the back way into the main house."

"Harper," I managed.

"Yes, love?"

"Sing for me."

Harper laughed. "What do you want me to sing?"

"Something pretty."

"Close your eyes and I'll kiss you. Tomorrow I'll miss you, remember I'll always be true."

"I love the beatles,"

Harper chuckled and continued singing. His voice was so pretty.

"Shh, quiet now. We can't get caught." Gwen warned.

Gwen led him to my room and Harper laid me on the bed. "Good night, sleep it off. You'll feel better."

"I'll have Laurel bring you some aspirin in the morning. Harper, come on, I'll be outside." Gwen gave us a moment.

"Well, love, good night,"

"Good night," I smiled up at him. "You have pretty eyes."

"Thank you, I think you've mentioned that."

"Well it's true,"

"Good night," he bent down to kiss me on the cheek but I turned and kissed him back. He seemed surprised but didn't stop. His lips were so soft. My hands reached around to the back of his neck and pulled him harder against me. He made a small noise of surprise but returned my ferocity. My hands fumbled to the bottom of his shirt, but he grabbed them and pulled away laughing. "No, no, love."

"No?" I asked confused. No? "You don't think I'm cute anymore,"

"Oh, quite the contrary, love, but you are very drunk."

"I'm just tipsy,"

"Good night, I have to go,"

"Stay?"

"I can't, as tempting as that is,"

"One more kiss?"

Harper sighed, a smile forming on his lips. "One more kiss," he kissed my forehead and tucked me in. "Now go to sleep. Tomorrow morning is going to come early for you."

I nodded. "Night night,"

I felt sleep overtake me.

Next thing I knew Laurel was gently shaking me awake. "Juliet, you have to get up," she soothed rubbing my back. My head was killing me and I felt nauseous. I looked around.

"Ugh, what time is it?"

"Almost seven, come on let's get you into a nice warm bath. You'll feel better." She helped me sit up and the world span.

"Oh god, how much did I drink?"

"Gwen told me all about it. I've told the master that you're not feeling well. He thinks you have the flu."

"Ugh, I don't remember most of last night,"

"Gwen said you kept up with her, and she's quite the drinker."

I groaned and covered my head with a blanket. "Why is it so bright?" I whined.

"Because you're hung over."