2 - It's An Idea

“I’ve thought about what you said,” my mother said suddenly after breakfast. The actual maids were taking away our now empty plates. I wiped my mouth with my napkin and then set it on my placemat.

“I say a lot of things,” I pointed out a little bitterly. “You’re going to have to be more specific.”

Athena gave me a look. “I’ve thought about your wish to get out of the house while I’m away.”

I looked at her unbelievably. “Yeah?”

“Well, I believe that you have a point.”

“Yeah?” I raised the tone in my voice but tried not to get my hopes up.

Athena nodded as she rose from her chair. “I have some books that you can take back to the library for me.”

I closed my eyes and sighed loudly. “Great.”

“I can do it myself if you don’t want to,” she offered.

I shook my head. “I’ll do it. After all, it gives me a chance to get out of the house.”

Athena walked over until she stood behind my chair. Then she leaned down and kissed my temple. She told me that the books were in her room on her nightstand table. I was excited to have something interrupt my daily routine of watching TV and eating. I left as soon as I could.

The only thing that sucked about leaving my house is that I was no longer Avena: Athena’s daughter; I suddenly became Avena: Athena’s maid. It might not be so bad if minor gods and goddess didn’t treat me like I was nothing when in reality I was above them on the fame ladder. If only they knew it…

I decided to walk to the library since it wasn’t far from my house. My mother was part of the Twelve Olympians which meant that we lived in the actual Mount Olympus. Despite what one might think it was not on a mountain. There was a subdivision called Olympia Lane which was a suburban type neighborhood made to house all the minor gods. I had never been there personally which isn’t too much of a shock since I rarely got out, but I heard it was a nice place.

The distance was short enough that I made it to the library within three minutes. The library always reminded me a huge museum with a gigantic white marble staircase leading up to the wooden double doors. I had only traveled to the library a few times. We had our own in our house so I mostly read from there.

Inside the library, I was hit with the strongest sent of ancient paper and dust. It was unsurprisingly very empty inside of the building. The librarian was my very own uncle: Porus. He was the only person who knew my real relationship with Athena and then, in turn, to himself.

“Good morning Porus,” I greeted as I joined him over at his desk. I set down the small pile of books that had to be returned.

The small man with thick glasses turned to look at me. “Why, what a lovely surprise?”

“Yes,” I agreed. “Athena sent me here to return some books.”

“I’m glad she has let you out of your prison cell,” Porus said with a teasing smile.

I scoffed leaning causally against his desk. “I actually brought up the idea of going down to Earth to live.”

“Oh really?” He leaned his head down so he could peer over his glasses to look at me. “How did that go?”

“I’m still here.”

Porus smiled. “I’m sorry but you know the precautions.”

“I know them but I don’t understand them,” I admitted with a frustrated sigh. “I mean, what if I went to college with some mortals. Are they really going to believe that my mother is a god?”