6 - One Crazy Day

"This is your car?"

Logan looked from me to his vehicle. “What? You don’t like it?”

I stuttered but no noise came from my mouth. “It’s so nice that I’m afraid to touch it.”

Logan laughed as he unlocked his door and sat in the driver seat then looked at me expectantly. His car was a silver Audi R8. I seriously thought those cars were only available in foreign countries. Hesitantly, I opened the car door and slowly stepped into the passenger seat. I stored my backpack in on the floorboard by my feet since there wasn’t a backseat.

I buckled my seatbelt slowly. “Are your parents loaded?”

“Shh,” Logan shushed turning on the ignition. The engine purred to life. “They are but they don’t flaunt it much.”

I couldn’t help but laugh. “Driving a car like this isn’t considered flaunting?”

“It was a late graduation present,” Logan explained. “Graduating high school, I mean.”

I nodding figuring as much then felt the awkwardness kick in. I spoke before it could settle. “Where are we going?”

“I figured that we could just head to the local Starbucks and talk for a minute. Does that work for you?”

I nodded again in response and kept my gaze out the window as the streets passed by. It was very interesting to see the place that was my new home. I was practically glued to the glass as soon as the silence kicked in inside the car. It wasn’t until Logan started laughing that I realized how stupid I probably looked and I pulled myself away from the view.

“Are you new in town?” He glanced over at me for a second.

I was about to tell the truth when I remembered that Porus mentioned that I ‘grew up’ around this area. I had to quickly come up with a lie as to why I was fascinated by the outside.

“No,” I denied with a sigh. “I…uh…grew up around here but I was home schooled and didn’t get out much.”

Well, that wasn’t a complete lie; it just lacked some important details.

“That doesn’t sound like much fun,” Logan commented.

I muttered, “You have no idea.”

A few minutes later, Logan had parked his lovely sports car in the Starbucks parking lot. We both wordlessly got out of the car. Looking back as we entered the store, I noted how out of place his car seemed in the parking lot. There wasn’t a line in the store so we were able to walk right up to the counter. I had never in my life had a cup of coffee or been to a Starbucks. I stared at the menu like it was written in Chinese.

“What would you like?” Logan asked after a minute of letting me study the menu.

“I’ve never had coffee,” I admitted after a second. Logan seemed surprised. He recovered by asking me if I liked chocolate which I quickly agreed to. He ordered me something called a mocha frappuccino and a cappuccino for himself.

We grabbed a seat on the high stools as our drinks were being made. He smiled at me politely but didn’t speak. I returned the smile and watched as the employees blended our drinks together. After they were finished, Logan left the table to get the drinks and returned. He watched for my reaction as I took my first gulp.

I nodded approvingly after experiencing chocolaty goodness with a slight bitter aftertaste that I guessed was from the coffee. Logan took a drink of his own cappuccino but only a small sip since steam was rising out of the cup. I had a question on the tip of my tongue but I was scared to ask. Finally, I blurted it out. “Why does a guy like you need a fake girlfriend?”