17 - Dig A Deeper Hole

“Oh my gosh! You should have been there Vee! Logan was just so cute when he was a little tike! We have this one picture from when he was a baby where he’s in the tub and you can see-”

“Alright that’s enough of the stories!” Logan interrupted his sister with a heated glare.

Evie nudged me slightly. “He is such a party pooper isn’t he?”

I smiled but chose not to answer since my answer could get me in trouble later. All three of us were sitting around Logan’s dining room table. The food was long gone and I had stayed much later than I had expected to. Evie had a very playful nature and she seemed to always have some sort of grin on her face. If I could only have one word to describe her personality it would have been: bubbly.

“You guys are biological siblings?” I asked my unspoken question. Both Logan and Evie looked over at me confused. “It’s just that you look nothing alike!”

Logan shrugged. “Genetics are weird I suppose.”

“In other words, yes we are biologically related,” Evie translated. I leaned back in my chair and examined them more closely. Even though their differences were obvious, I started to notice small similarities such as the shape of their faces or their similar bone structure. It wasn’t an overpowering factor but once you were looking for it, it became more apparent.

“Genetics are weird,” I agreed thinking back to my own which…really didn’t exist.

“I have to give you my number!” Evie began pulling a piece of paper out from her purse and then dug around for a pen. “That way we can talk more when we are both away from Mr. Grumpypants!”

Logan crossed his arms and grumbled, “I never would have thought you two would become friends.”

“Jealous because I’m stealing your girlfriend?” Evie teased with a smirk so similar to her brother’s.

Logan scoffed and rolled his eyes. “Of course not! You will be going home soon and I will have her all to myself once again." 

“Aw, you guys make me feel wanted,” I gushed feeling all warm and tingly inside.

Evie beamed a wide perfectly white smile. ‘I approve of her!

I sighed content with everything as of right now. If only everything in my life were just as simple as this moment right here.

Evie and I exchanged numbers quickly before I realized what time it was.

“Oh jeez,” I gasped out, standing suddenly. “I better get home! I have school tomorrow.”

“Speaking of,” Logan brought up quickly. “Why did you just show up in the middle of the week?”

“I can’t visit my brother spontaneously?” Evie asked feigning hurt.

“Oh so you want something then?” Logan deducted.

“I’m just going to head out,” I announced excusing myself. Logan and Evie continue to bicker back in forth as I got my coat from the couch and began to leave.

“Whoa!” Logan stopped me before I could open his front door. “Are you leaving without a goodbye?”

Evie emerged from the kitchen and stood behind her brother. “It was nice meeting you Vee! I hope we can hang out again soon.”

I nodded toward her. “Nice meeting you too! Call me anytime.”

Logan rolled his eyes but placed a gentle hand on the small of my back and led me over to his door. He opened it for me but seemed like he had something to say. I found myself glued to the spot in anticipation of what he had to say.