5 - The Unexpected

I put Sophie out of my mind as I left the classroom. I stood outside in the hall shifting my weight and wondering what to do.

I didn’t have any more classes today. I could have either gone home or stuck around. I pulled the campus map and schedule out from my backpack. I figured that I could spend the day finding all of my classrooms so I wouldn’t be late anymore. I didn’t need any more embarrassment.

I was taking five classes and after finding my first three, I began to wander around. The campus was beautiful with all maroon colored buildings and huge paw prints decorating the walls.

The halls were pretty deserted with an occasional person walking by. They all seemed nice enough since most of them flashed me a smile which I returned. Outside, the sun was shining and it seemed to be a beautiful day. I found an empty sitting area and rested on one of the benches for a while.

Everything here was so different. I marveled at the fact that I was really here. The sky was a magnificent clear blue unlike our usual pink sky in Olympus. I took a deep breath of fresh air and closed my eyes to bask in the warm sunlight. Some birds chirped in the distance and I sighed, content with my freedom.

I opened my eyes after a while and looked around at the various buildings. Spotting one that was unfamiliar to me; I looked it up on the map and discovered that it was the campus theater. Generally curious, I gather my stuff and walked into the auditorium.

I kept quiet as I entered into the building where there was a large stage set up and endless rows of stadium seating. I sat down in a nearby seat in the back of the room and watched as a group of people messed around on stage. The person who I guess was the director was sitting in the fifth row or so watching the students.

I’ve never been in a play or even seen one for that matter but I thought it was cool that those people could go on stage in front of tons of people and act insane. I suppose that I cared a little too much of what people thought of me to go and act like an idiot or something I wasn’t on stage. I acted like something I wasn’t every day since I had to pretend to be Athena’s maid and I hated every minute of it. I didn’t understand how these kids could want to do it for a living or for fun.

“Hey!” One of the students spotted me from on stage. “No observers!” He pointed an accusing finger at me and suddenly everyone, including the director, turned to face me. I stood up right away and stuttered an apology as I backed out of the theater.  I pushed the door open with my back and spun around letting the door close on its own and accidently bumping into someone.

“Oh my God,” I immediately muttered. I backed away and fixed my backpack strap that had fallen off my shoulder. “I’m so sorry.”

“I’m hearing that a lot,” a deep voice said. I looked up and then closed my eyes though a smirk grew on my face. I shook my head slightly knowing that it was just my luck that Mr. Blue-Eyes (or Logan as I recalled) was watching me with an amused smile.

I met his gaze. “I really am sorry.”

He smiled and stuffed his hands in his pockets as if he planned on standing in that exact spot for a while. I cocked my head to the side wondering what he was doing. I took the time to notice that he was just about my height but I still had to look up slightly to make eye contact.

“Sophie told me about you,” he announced suddenly.

I furrowed my eyebrows wondering what the heck Sophie knew about me that she would be able to tell. That I was a freak and a bitch? “Oh?”

“Yes, she told your name. It was a letter…T?”

“Vee,” I corrected with a small smile. He took the time to learn my name. The thought made a slight blush come over my cheeks again. “Your name is Logan, right?”