29 - The L Word

“Porus, I’ve been sitting here reading for an hour with your humongous eyes staring at me the entire time. I can’t take it anymore! What am I supposed to be looking for?" 

I didn’t get very far in the book. I couldn’t focus on reading with someone’s gaze on me the whole time. Porus leaned forward in his chair studying me with his glassed eyes. He painfully stayed silent for a few minutes.

Finally he said, “Tell me what you already know then.”

I sighed wondering where to start. “Peyton is Cupid’s granddaughter and is married to Nate. Nate is Logan’s uncle and since Peyton is immortal, her husband has to be too. If her husband is immortal that means anyone related to him has to be."

“Okay.” Porus nodded. “It’s a good start but now what have you learned from the book.”

I held up the novel in my hands. “Nothing really. Peyton was tricked by Cupid and even though I haven’t gotten to the end, she’s going to beat this Lily chick in the battle for Nate’s affections. Why does this story have any effect on me?”

“Think!”

I looked at him helplessly. “About what?”

“Why kind of immortal is Nate? Surely you’ve gotten that far in the story.”

I paused never really caring about that little fact. “He’s a fallen angel.”

“Correct,” Porus said proudly.

I watched him before saying, “I still don’t understand what that has to do with anything.”

Porus sighed in defeat. “Do you know anything about angels?”

“Not much,” I admitted. “They’re made by God for special purposes. Nate’s purpose is fire making him prone to get angry easily and be a great cook. Angels are completely unique and no two are alike.”

Porus nodded. “Yes, yes, and anything else?”

“No,” I denied simply after a moment’s thought.

Porus sighed again and I noticed him growing frustrated. “No two angels are alike. Each one is made completely unique by God…”

Porus drifted off obviously trying to get me to put my own clues together but nothing was coming to me. “I’m not getting it,” I stated.

My uncle actually groaned in frustration. “Angels don’t have brothers and sisters! Technically you could say that they are all related but that would be false because as you said, God makes them all completely unique and that includes their DNA.”

I started wide eyed at him trying to understand the information he just said. Finally small clues started coming together. “But that would mean that Nate is not Logan’s uncle. So maybe Logan just calls him an uncle because he’s close to the family?”

“No,” Porus denied flatly. “Try again.”

I sighed trying to force my brain make sense. “Nate isn’t Logan’s uncle since he obviously lied when he said Logan’s mother was his sister. Why would he lie though?”

“Why would he lie?”

I shrugged but paused midway once I realized, “Nate didn’t know who I was! Since he’s an immortal, he doesn’t age. If he would have said that he was related Logan in some other way, then that would have come across as weird to someone who is not immortal. I still don’t understand. Is Nate Logan’s brother?”

Porus actually stood up and hit me on the head. It was pretty painful too.

“Nate is Logan’s father!” Porus yelled. “You are so dense!”