Chapter Thirteen - Something Wicked This Way Comes

It has been two weeks and there was no word from Vincent-no text, no email, not a phone call-nothing. I decided to sneak away from Chase and find out what was going on. Taking a taxi to his apartment, I found it was almost too dirty for him. He was always the most pristine and organized man I had ever known. And his apartment looked most burglarized. As I took a step in, I heard a noise from upstairs... I moved slowly just in case it was not Vincent... good thing I did.
Coming around the corner there was a shadow, not Vincent as the figure was too small but obviously male due to lack of chest appendages. I turned to hide in the corner to see the figure walk by me. He smelled of cigars and vodka - a smell I came accustomed to since Carly confessed to her cheating on Alex. He has recently developed an alcohol problem and she has continued messing around on him...after losing the baby, they both lost their way in the world....
My heart nearly beated out of my chest as the figure turned to each room before there was a sudden cocking of a weapon. I turned slowly to find it to be Jason. Lisa's husband and Vincent's best friend. He was a compete mess and disheveled from head to toe. It was clear by both visual and scent aid that he had not taken personal hygiene serious in some time. A dark mid September shadow outlined his face which made his dark green eyes more prominent. He waited until he escorted the figure out with the gun before he returned to me.

He took me in his embrace tight before I saw tears in his eyes.
"I thought you were with him..."
"With Vincent?"
He nodded before I shook my head. "Is Lisa with you?" He shook his head before looking down. Although I wanted desperately to help my friends, I needed to find the man I loved first.
"Why did you think he was with me?" I asked as we went to the kitchen and he got me a drink. I couldn't find the comfort to drink but I held the glass in my hand and continuously set it down and picked it back up before the conversation grew more intense.
"I got an email two days ago from this unwired account. Demanding money for his safety..."
"Unwired?"
"Unable to be traced or responded to. Lisa thinks I'm cheating on her but I didn't want to put her in danger..."
"When this is all over make sure you tell her that."
He nodded and smiled before motioning toward his cell phone and showing me the email. My heart stopped beating momentarily as the message did threaten his imminent death upon no money or trade of some kind.
"Who would do this?"
"Who wouldn't? Any of his ex-submissives, their lovers or spouses, his old company..."
"What about Mitch?"
He winced. "I used to think he was just a horned up frat boy but....he back stabbed Vincent. Made him leave."
"His job?"
"Yeah. Threatened to file a sexual lawsuit against the girls he employed. Mitch paid them to speak against him."
"But his company now that helps people..."
He turned his head before slowly nodding. "He tried to go back to school for law but found he wasn't eligible and would have to do it all over again..." he paused. "He's unemployed. Living off the money he made as the C.E.O. of Chadwick Cars."
"Why would he lie?"
"Embarrassment. He has always wanted to impress you and make you see he's the best choice. Until he saw you with Chase. Then he found Chase with that girl-"
He paused. "You don't think he found out about you two did he?"
"How do you know?"
"He's my best friend..."
I realized then how serious the situation was. If Jason didn't know, it was a dire reason.
"What if he's-"
"We can't think like that Adelaide. Staying positive is what needs to happen." I smiled before realizing I had a true ally.
"Let's go get out boy back..." We left the apartment before I snatched the security tape and we ventured to all the places he could have been.