Chapter Twenty Two- Suspicion of Keys

I waited anxiously for Chase to leave so I could snatch his phone away. Knowing he wouldn't willingly leave without it-especially if something incriminating was present, I decided it was best to steal it when he was in the shower. When the water ceased, I hid the phone in my sweater pocket before then moving toward him and giving him a quick kiss and excusing him for the lectures. He moved in a hurry before eventually leaving and asking if I found his phone to run it by the college. I agreed before locking the door tight and entering the office we used for both our jobs before staying inside. Luckily, he kept his phone screen on before entering the shower so I didn't need to try to figure his password.

I scanned the messages before growing angry at myself. But knowing what Vincent said did make sense...and the constant watching of sports he once loathed and dressing for nicer events when he never gave late night lectures did peak flags toward me so I continued to snoop. Even though I did indeed feel bad for doing it.

My fingers scanned the screen as I looked through text messages and found some of Chase and my old ones and grinning at them-unable to hide the memories in my head. But then expecting to find (if anything) some incriminating texts on cheating, I found something far worse.

Without hesitating, I ran to the office building where Vincent was and banged on the door hard. A receptionist ran to the door before shooing me away but when I gave my name, she opened the door and allowed me through. I went straight to the top of the building by running up the stairs and entering his office to find it empty. The hailing rain caused my more feminine posh look to become more like a drowned racoon but I didn't care. I just wanted to see him.

Just as I hung my head and tears began to fall, I heard the door come open and the sound of heavy shoes. Vincent sighed before accepting me in his embrace.

"What did you find?"

"I'm so sorry...I...I feel so horrible..." I said sobbing with each word. My eyes burned as well as my feet and stomach from the events of the past hour. I just wanted to be held and told him such-in which he didn't force anymore comments or knowledge of what I discovered.

Thinking I was originally unable to, I fell asleep on the couch while laying on his lap and awoke many hours later to find he had fallen asleep as well. But as I moved my hair from my face, I felt the cold metal of the wedding ring I now wore and jumped up to alarm Vincent as well.

"What is it?"

"Did last night really happen or was it all a dream?"

"I'm afraid it is all too real..."

I covered my face with my hands before he rubbed my back. "What was it that you found? Does he know about us? Is he cheating still?"

I began to sob once more, the pain of the truth was almost too difficult to speak. The sobs made it almost impossible to understand.

"What love?"

"I married the man who was going to kill you..."

*WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL HAPPEN NEXT?