Home

Slowly, the ringing in her ears faded as the gigantic purple cloud ceased to exit. Her back touched grass, and the sent of wet leaves filed her nostrils.

Numbness.

That was what she felt.

Regina blinked her eyes open and looked around to see a group of people far away, standing by the trees. She was momentarily confused and could not understand why and how she was laid on the ground, deep into the woods.

However, as the initial shock passed and the numbness left her limbs, realization hit her.

Henry.

She would never see her son again.

Suddenly, Regina was overwhelmed by anger and sorrow. Everything felt so wrong and unfair. The only thing she wanted to do was to scream out loud and break something - or someone.

Laid on the forest ground, she allowed her angry tears to fall. Or she did, until she heard footsteps somewhere nearby.

Regina did not need to look up to know who was there. If the queen was right - and she usually was - there was just one person capable of caring about her after everything she had done. She knew it was her. Obviously, it was always her.

Before Snow White arrived, Regina made sure to recompose herself and quickly build her walls up as she stood. She did not need anyone knowing how miserable she felt.

"We're back." Snow stated quietly, her tone devoid of its usual happiness and excitement.

Taking a deep breath, the queen held the younger woman's gaze.

Regina was a mere moment away from snapping a sarcastic 'how very observant of you', but the sadness in her stepdaughter's eyes made the queen speechless for a moment. Somehow, it made her anger deflate. After all, Snow had just lost a child, too. Again.

The queen frowned as an alien emotion made her look at the princess way too softly and caring.

Guilt.

Why in hell was Regina feeling guilty for something that had happened to Snow White of all people? She did not care. Sighing inwardly, the queen looked away. Things used to be simpler between them when all they felt for each other was pure hatred.

"Yes, we are." She responded dryly as both started to walk towards the rest of the group.

-- |¥| --

A small consul was made between Charming, Snow, Regina, and Granny. Obviously, Grumpy and the dwarfs had not been invited, but they joined anyway, just to irritate her.

"We need a place to stay. I don't know what has changed in this land, so I guess it is best if we stick together until we have a plan." Charming suggested, glancing at Regina nervously. "Just for a while, anyway." He added carefully. The queen sensed the hesitation in his tone and chuckled humorlessly.

"I don't want to spend time with you too, Charming. Fortunately, I do have a plan. I protected my castle from the Dark Curse. It is intact and abandoned." She said in a low tone, holding his gaze. As she was just about to continue, Grumpy rudely interrupted.

"And how can you be so sure it is indeed abandoned? Not that anyone would like to live in there, but even if you protected it from the curse, people might have occupied it, sister." He exclaimed in his usual angry tone.

Regina narrowed her eyes and closed her hands into a fist. "As far as I am aware of, I'm not a ridiculous dwarf. Therefore, I'm not your sister." She bitted out and stepped forward, her expression growing rather murderous.

"Regina." Snow murmured in a pleading tone, reprehending the queen.

The queen sighed inwardly and glanced at the princess. "This is why children are not allowed to participate. Why are they even in this meeting?" She mocked, rolling her eyes.

"That's alright, Snow." Grumpy muttered, taking the princess's hand. "We're used to her insults. It's not like any of them are worse than being called Evil Queen." He added, shooting a disgusted look at her majesty.

"Enough of this. What were you talking about, Regina?" David questioned. "Go on." He added.

"As I was saying, my castle is abandoned. I know this because I cast spells to keep people from braking into it. We can stay there while you two fix your own castle and then..." She said firmly, looking from Snow to Charming. "The two of you will leave me alone." Regina added, making it clear she was not intending to live with them - she would rather live in solitude than spend a lifetime with the Charmings, always remembering her the family she used to have.

Without saying anything else, she stood, turned around, and walked away. No one seemed to have the courage to say anything else. In this land, she was a queen - a powerful, evil one, to be precise.

However, Snow told her husband to wait a few minutes and followed her stepmother right after.

"Regina!" She exclaimed, quickening her steps to reach the sorceress's side.

"What is it, Snow?" The queen asked tiredly, reluctantly looking at the princess. Her eyes were hopeful, back with the soft sympathy it always held. Regina wasn't sure which one was worse.

"I know you're hurting, and I get that you want space to deal with it, but you don't have to do it alone." Snow said carefully.

"I don't need your help." Regina responded in a heartbeat, a stern expression in her features.

"I know you don't, but I am here for you anyway." Snow insisted.

"And why is that?" Regina snapped. "Why you're here for me? It makes no sense. I just separated you from your daughter again." She exclaimed, halting her walk and turning to face the princess fully. "Stop pretending you don't hate me! We all know how our history goes!" She added angrily, narrowing her eyes.

The last she needed was Snow's concern.

Snow's eyes widened for a second, but her surprised expression was quickly replaced by a wry smile. "But I don't hate you. Not anymore. There was a time I did, very much so." She said, frowning slightly. "But right now, I'm not the only one who lost someone. Henry would have wanted -" The princess muttered but was cut before she could add another syllable.

"Do not do that." Regina said threateningly, her face growing dark as she stepped closer. "Don't you dare use my son to manipulate me." She raged, feeling the push of her magic in response.

Anger. That was a common feeling, at least.

"I'm sorry." Snow said, closing her eyes briefly. "What I was trying to say is that we can still be a family in here. I know you don't want to, but we are here for you." She added, holding the queen's gaze and smiling slightly. "Because the truth, even if you choose to deny it, is that we will always be a family." The princess said softly. "Even if a dysfunctional one." She added.

Regina frowned and looked away, feeling suddenly extremely uncomfortable. After death threats, curses, and everything that had happened between them, this woman was seriously talking about being a family?

"Go tell your husband I'm going ahead. It's getting late already." She said before turning her heels to leave, walking away as fast as she could and leaving a disappointed Snow White behind.

She needed some air.