The Battle: Part II

Luckily, she was able to hear Snow White's scream just in time.

Regina gasped and stood up as quickly as she could, taking many steps away from the hole in the glass floor as she could. She was brought back to reality. The mixture of fear and anger hit her fast and immediately she closed her eyes, urging her magic to teleport her to where she wanted to go.

The queen appeared in a cloud of purple smoke meters away from Maleficent and as she materialized herself back, she threw a curse at the witch. The destructive magic Regina sent Maleficent's way was different than the previous ones. This was a spell made to hurt and cause serious damage. Long gone was the sympathy they both shared for each other – the island was finally working its magic on them.

There was no room for friendly emotions nor second-guessing.

Maleficent received the queen's attack not completely prepared to defend herself. When she saw the wall of storm coming her way, she could not help but gasp in fear. Thinking quickly, she lifted her staff and tried to create a barrier as fast as she could. Unfortunately, Regina's attack had been fast enough to hit her before she created it fully, making the witch receive the damage in almost its total power. Maleficent let out a scream of pain as the lightnings hit her. The impact made her legs betrayal her, and she fell on the ground, making an effort to stay kneeling while using her staff for support. As she breathed in, trying to ease the pain in her lungs, she noticed drops of blood on the ground. It was coming from her mouth.

Between greeted teeth, Maleficent looked up to face Regina, who walked towards her with murderous eyes. The witch felt her insides flare in anger and at every intake of air – making her lungs burn in pain – the feeling grew. Using more energy to stand than she would like to admit, she did so, already pointing her staff towards the queen.

It was her turn.

Maleficent summoned all the strength and knowledge she had in alteration and destruction school, trying to come up with a spell made to neutralize the opponent. This way, Regina would not be able to get away from its power. As Maleficent spoke the elvish words, from the crystal of her staff came the icy force of a blizzard. The magic was thrown at the queen, who widened her eyes at the realization of what was happening. Regina was trapped in an icicle rounded cage that listed her from the ground. The spell made her fluctuate and stay trapped inside this vortex of wild wind and ice spikes that would repeatedly hit the opponent, damaging its stamina and life force with icicle magic.

Maleficent knew Regina was never really good at it.

At that moment, the screams from Snow White and the rest of the group was louder as ever. They were all so shocked at the showdown between the two sorcerers that even Diablo and Hook stopped their sword fight to watch, stunned, as they both dueled.

They were going to kill each other.

Tinkerbell, who had just awakened, looked at the sight of Regina trapped in Maleficent's spell with tears in her eyes. It was visible how much damage the queen was receiving from the spikes and suddenly, the air around the monarch became slightly red.

The fairy almost vomited at the realization that it was, in fact, Regina's blood.

Meanwhile, Maleficent was almost fully standing. It was clear that the spell had taken a great toll on her energy and the witch stayed still, with her hands on her chest, taking deep breaths and watching as Regina tried and failed to create a counter-course.

Suddenly, however, the queen stood extremely still inside the windy cage. Maleficent watched warily and took a step back with difficulty at the feeling of electricity in the air. For a small period of time, she was able to find the queen's gaze between the magical haze. Then, Regina's eyes closed.