7. Letter

7. Letter

DELILAH

Nick looked at me. He just looked at me. He made no move to wipe away the tears that still streamed down my face. He made no move to hug me and he certainly made no move to open his mouth and comment. All he did was stand up and stomp out of the room.

I sat there motionless until I heard I deep voice shout, “Nick!”

I ran down the stairs, ignored everyone’s questioning, and ran out the door to find him. I inhaled deeply and picked up no scent. I was too far up wind. There was no way to find him.

Until I heard a car starting.

I jumped behind the vehicle. The lights got closer and brighter. He slammed on the brakes just in time before he hit me. I walked up to the passenger door and got inside the car. I looked over at Nick to see his head rested against the steering wheel, his body convulsing.

I leaned forward and ran a hand through his hair.

“Nick?”

I strangled sob bubbled up from his chest, and it broke my heart to hear it. I sniffled and leaned over the middle console to wrap my arms around him. We didn’t say anything. The only sound was our sniffles and his quiet sobs.

“Please,” I begged. “Look at me, baby.”

He rolled his head to face me. I took my thumb and wiped away the tears on his stained cheeks. He closed his eyes and bit his upper lip. His long eyelashes were damp from the crying.

“Please don’t cry.”

He laughed, his voice thick with emotion. “You’re the only person that can make me feel like this.” His lifted up his head all the way and faced me, taking the keys out of the ignition. “I can’t believe all that happened to you, Delilah. You had no reason to endure that.”

I closed my eyes. “I understand if you don’t want to be with someone as battered and bruised as I am.”

He growled. “Don’t say that. Do I look like I don’t love you?” I looked into his red rimmed eyes and shook my head. “All I want is to find his Doug and beat the living crap outta him. I can’t believe they would even think to let you into a foster home like that. It isn’t right.” He clenched his fists on the steering wheel. “This also gives me another to find this ‘Alpha’ and kill him too. He should have never of had sex with you. You are my mate.”

“They won’t do anything about it now. First, I’m twenty-one and I was thirteen when I was in that home. Second, rules were different back then.” I leaned forward and placed my hands on his face. “I’m safe now. Everything is fine now. I’m yours and you’re mine. That’s all that matters.”

He licked his dry lips. I leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on them. “I love you, Delilah. Please don’t ever forget that.”

I laughed, the notes strained. “I love you, too.”

He smiled and gave me a heated kiss, and whispered in my ear. “I’m so glad to call you mine.”

***

Nick and I walked back into the house soon after we stopped being emotional. I convinced him to not go find Doug and I forced him to listen to me. I told him how much I was glad that he was my mate. I was glad that he saved me. It was all in the past and I was glad to be the person I am today because of everything that happened.

As soon as we walked into the door, hand in hand, Emily rushed over to us and reached up to smooth her son’s hair down. She felt around his face for anything that was wrong. When she found nothing, she squeezed him in a big bear hug. I let go of his hand so he could hug her back, and walked into the kitchen to grab a drink.