10. Relevation

10. Revelation

DELILAH

That night, I slept in a bedroom. I wasn’t sure whose bedroom, but it was an unknown scent. I was not comfortable at all. There was nothing comforting about the scent in here. I sighed and stared at the ceiling.

Tomorrow was when I had a “meeting” with “my new Pack.” His words, not mine. They weren’t my Pack members, they were Rogues. My Pack members were at Cliffhold, probably sleeping safe and sound in their beds, not even sad that I left.

These Rogues couldn’t get off of my mind. They were dangerous. They needed to be dealt with before they did something else. No one should ever go through this kind of grief.

If Noah had a mate, why did he want me here and sent that letter to the Pack? What does he want with us?

I never slept that night.

***

“It truly has been a long time, hasn’t it, dear?” Doug sneered the next morning during the “meeting”. “I see you’ve aged beautifully—not like it has changed from when you were thirteen years old. I’m glad I killed your parents.”

My anger flared. “You killed my parents?”

Tears prickled in my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. He knew my weak spot. He couldn’t have killed my parents. They died in a car accident, they weren’t murdered. Or was the car accident just a cover up for their murder? Had the whole thing been framed?

I had to pretend like his words didn’t hurt me. That was the only way to get through his “meeting.”

“Of course,” he laughed, “why did think they’d let you into my care when they knew very well how our household was.”

“I was in foster care.” My hands curled into fists, ready to give Doug a nice right hook to the face. “No one else wanted me.”

“Honey, you were not in foster care.”

This time, Rosalie interrupted from her position on Noah’s lap. “What,” she laughed. “You’re saying you purposely killed this little girl’s parents and set it up so it appeared she was in foster care?”

Doug nodded.

“But why?” At my look, she held up her hands. “Hey, I’m not a big fan of you. But even for me, this is taking it a whole step back. I would never even have the balls to do this.”

“Well,” Doug started. “I always took an interest in her. She was interesting as a child and I thought would’ve been even more so interesting in her teens when puberty were to kick in and her hearing and sense of smell would increase—”

“Wait…” I held up my hand. “First off, how did you know me when I was a kid?”

Doug smiled. “I had my ways.”

This was taking it to a brand new personal scale. This man knew me as a kid. Did he watch me through my window when I was younger? Did he watch me when I was at the park with my mom and friends? He murdered my parents.

Game face, Delilah.

“Great.” I rolled my eyes. “Second, what do you mean my sense of smell? Dad wasn’t a werewolf.”

Doug laughed. A full blown, stomach churning laugh.

I growled at him.

“You mean those parents?” Doug barely composed himself.

Noah looked over at me and smiled coldly. “Honey, those weren’t your real parents.”

My heart sank and my stomach churned.