27. Beg

27. Beg

DELILAH

As I sat in the chair waiting for Noah to come to, my cellphone rang. I pulled it out and saw Matt’s name. I growled as I stood up and answered the phone.

“Matt, I’m fine.” I meant to say softly, but it came out harsh.

He sucked in a deep breath. “Nick called me and told me that Noah attacked you guys.”

“Yeah,” I rolled my eyes. Of course Nick would call him. “I’m fine. No one’s hurt. He locked up in the crate right now and I knocked him out. This is the night he dies and hopefully tomorrow, I’ll be flying out to Toronto.”

He sighed. “Just…be careful, ‘kay?”

“The worried-about-my-mate act is really getting old, Matthew.”

“Don’t even pull that card on me.” He growled. “It’s not an act, Delilah.”

“Well, it seems like—”

“I didn’t call for a fight.”

Then I heard a door open and a deep laugh erupted over the line. Matt shouted something at the guy—a teammate probably—and I heard the guy speak loud and clear.

“You should go into the bathroom with that call. It probably gets rated-R real soon.”

I laughed.

“Shut up, Scotty! At least I have a girlfriend.”

I heard Scotty tsk in the background. “So you say you have a girlfriend. But do we really know that for sure?”

Matt sighed. “I should probably go. Scotty’s being an ass. I’ll call you tomorrow, okay?”

I chuckled, still humoured by Scotty’s first comment. “Okay, babe.”

I heard a muffled noise and Matt yelling to give him his phone back. I heard Scotty laugh as a balcony door shut.

“So, are you actually dating little Matty?”

I laughed. “Yes, I am.”

I glanced over into the crate and saw that Noah was still passed out. His even breathing signalled that he was still going to be asleep for a few hours.

“You’re all he talks about,” he paused. “And I should know because I live with the guy. And his background on his phone is of you and him. Man he is whipped!” Scott said “whipped” in a sing song voice.

I went to make a remark before a head a hit and static.

“Sorry, babe. He held the door shut.”

“Well, that’s a problem for you then, considering…”

He laughed. “He knows, Lilah. He’s a werewolf too.”

Well this day just kept getting better and better.

“So, you mean to tell me that you’re living with a male werewolf alone?”

He growled. “I see where you’re going with this and I just want you to know I am as straight as they come.”

I heard a groan and looked up to see Noah attempting to get up off the floor. I could feel my eyes light up in excitement.

“Speaking of coming, Noah’s awake. I’ll call you tomorrow morning.”

“Okay. Bye, baby. Have fun,” he said as he hung up.

As soon as I pocketed my phone, Nick’s footsteps thundered down the stairs. When he saw he ran over to me and held my shoulders, inspecting my face. His eyes travelled all over my face and when he was satisfied that I wasn’t injured, he released me.