8. Surprise

8. Surprise

DELILAH

I went on the rest of the day after my short evening “nap” and pretended that everything was fine. If they noticed that something was up, they didn’t mention it. And for that I was grateful. I was in no hurry to rush and leave everything behind. Cliffhold. My Pack. Nick. But it had to be done.

Nick and I were the last ones awake. After we watched a movie, we both made our way up the stairs and into our—soon to be only his—room. Nick laid down and shoved the covers down for me. Of course, I curled up to him, taking advantage to be near him one last time and inhaled his rich scent.

I sat there with my eyes closed, feigning exhaustion, until I heard his breathing become slow and steady. I cracked open my left eye and saw his dark features relaxed. I reached out to brush his hair off his forehead but thought better of it and retracted my outstretched hand.

I gently moved out of his grasp as his arms fell off of me and I crawled out of the bed. I breathed a soft sigh of relief that the floor didn’t creak underneath my weight. I looked down at the man that saved me—my Alpha, my mate—as a tear rolled down my cheek. It pained me to leave my Pack and my mate behind, but turning myself in and giving Noah what he wants was crucial.

I turned towards the window beside me and unlocked it. As I opened it, it squeaked. I flinched and looked over at Nick as he stirred but did not wake up. I silently thanked Eric for being a heavy sleeper and giving the gene to his sons.

I opened the window all the way and flung one leg over the sill. Once my whole body was emerged out into the chilly air, I turned around and looked in the window. My heart sank as I glanced at Nick.

I love you. The unspoken words held heavy in my gut and caused a lump to form in my throat. I glanced at Nick one last time and shut the window softly behind me, cutting off the frigid air. I made my way down towards the bottom of the roof toward the forest. I jumped down without second thought and landed softly on my feet. That jump for a werewolf was a piece of cake.

I sprinted into the forest, not bothering to look back at the house and people I’ve learned to love. Tears burned my face as I kept running and running. I didn’t know here I was going, but I was following his scent. The scent was potent and fresh.

I suddenly stopped as a howl cried in the distance. I waited for him with my nails digging into my palms hard enough to draw blood. My patience was growing thinner and thinner with every waking minute.

I couldn’t yell out at him to tell him I was here. I was too close to the house for someone to hear. He would have to follow my scent. And soon enough, there was the big, black wolf that haunted my dreams, turning them into nightmares.

He “smiled” at me and made his way toward a clearing to Change into his human form. He let out no whimpers, moans or groans as he Changed. And I envied him for it.

He tsked as he stepped out of the clearing. “Little Pet,” I flinched. “It has truly been a while hasn’t it?”

I stood my ground. “Hello, Noah.”

He chuckled. “I knew you’d read my letter against the Alpha’s wishes.” He inhaled slowly and his eyes narrowed. “I smell him all over you. Perhaps you were having fun in my absence?”

I growled. “Perhaps, or perhaps not. That leaves everything to the imagination.”

He stepped towards me. “I see that you have gained some status in the greatest Pack in all of North America, Pet, but I can assure you that I will take them down and claim what is rightfully mine.” He spat the word out. “And for that Alpha to claim you, well, that just brings him up higher on my radar. And trust me, my radar is fairly lofty.”