26. Attack

26. Attack

DELILAH

Eric stood over the dining room table as we all gathered around it. He even called Marcel and his twin boys, Elijah and Elliot. Even Caelon and Mom joined us again. I sat beside Emily and Kyle and across from Eric. Nick looked lost as he glanced around the table.

“Um, Dad?” Nick’s voice cut through the thick tension. Eric looked over at him. “Why are we in a meeting right now?”

“Noah needs to be dealt with now. I’m sick and tired of his games and it needs to end.”

Nick raised an eyebrow. “Oh-kay? But I’m Alpha.”

Eric shook his head. “For right now, you’re not.”

Nick’s face twisted into pure, seething anger. “What is so damn important that I can’t run my Pack?”

Eric looked at Emily and she nodded at him.

“Your mother,” he started slowly gauging Nick’s reaction, “is pregnant.”

Nick’s face had a tint of green to it. “That’s so gross.”

Kyle whacked the side of his head. “Knock it off, dimwit. Be mature about it.” He shook his head and looked up at his father. “What’s the plan?”

He looked over at me. “Noah goes for his weekly run tonight, correct?” At my nod, he continued. “We attack him in the middle of his Change.”

“That’s not very fair, Eric.” Marcel said.

“We don’t need to play fair. I’ve been doing some thinking lately. Noah’s Pack isn’t an official Pack. It’s just a group of Rogue’s in one area. The Law doesn’t know about them, so if we attacked first then there would be no problem with killing him. Noah’s group of wolves is vulnerable without him and because he’s not a true Alpha, their connection with him will be banished. He has no heir, therefore no more Pack.”

Mom shook her head. “It doesn’t work like that. James died because he fought for the Alpha position with Doug. What’s to say that his wolves won’t fight to be Alpha?”

“His wolves are weak,” Eric shrugged. “That’s why they’re with Noah in the first place. If they were powerful wolves, they wouldn’t feel the connection with the Alpha.”

Mom blinked, suddenly remembering something. “It was Doug. He was the real Alpha of that Pack. Noah was his heir. They just played it out that Noah was the Alpha. They ran that Pack the whole time they were with Delilah, too.”

Caelon grinned. “Now we know why he wanted his heir. He knew Doug would get killed and he was preparing for it.”

“Maybe we should enter his territory instead of killing him when he’s defenseless,” Nick sighed. “We’re not that heartless.”

My cellphone rang, startling everyone at the table. I pulled it out of my pocket and glanced at the caller ID. A picture of Matt was on the screen. I sighed and held up my finger.

“Hey, Matt,”

“Hey, babe. Practice is over.”

I sighed. “That’s great, but we’re kind of dealing with something right now.”

He was silent. Then, “Put me on speaker.”

I sighed and hit speaker phone. “Say hello.”

“What’s going on, guys?”

“Well,” Eric sighed. “We’re going after Noah tonight.”

“Yeah, I got that part. I mean why?”