12. Leaving

12. Leaving

DELILAH

Eric locked his door and sat me on the bed and kneeled in front of me. He pushed my hair back off my cheek and put it behind my ear, touching the angry red hand mark.

He cursed under his breath.

“What happened?”

I took a deep breath. “I o-overreacted a-after h-he…”

“Take a few deep breaths while I go get you water and an ice pack.”

I nodded and he left the room.

I started all of this. Nick’s right—I have made him weaker. I’m not cut out to be a mate. Look at the deal I made with Noah. Does that say mate material? Of course not. Nick deserves so much better than me.

Eric walked back in and handed me the ice pack. I put it on my cheek and winced. Yep, it’s going to bruise.

“Okay, so what happened?” He asked cautiously.

“Nick brought me some breakfast and I was a little touchy, so I overreacted and he was calling me a child and a princess. Then he basically told me I was a bad mate and that I made him weak. He grabbed my arm and he wouldn’t let go, so I told him I was leaving and he slammed me up against the wall and hit me.” Tears were forming in my eyes as I explained everything to Eric.  

Eric sat back and ran a hand through his dark hair. His green eyes flickered up to me. “I don’t know what came over him, but I did not raise my son to treat women like that.”

I shook my head. “I’m going to give him some space…”

Eric sighed. “What are you planning in that head of yours?”

“I need to leave. I need room to think…”

Eric sighed and nodded. “I’d hate to see you leave, but you have free will and you can leave. We can’t stop you.”

I sighed and wiped a tear that had fallen. “I need to talk to him.”

***

Nick and I sat in his study. I was on the other side of the room and he was on the other side. I didn’t want to be anywhere near him. I hid my hair in my face to cover the bruise that he caused.

“Look, Delilah,” his voice broke, “I’m extremely sorry. I was just so mad and I—”

“Can you not?” My eyes didn’t rise off the floor.

He was quiet, waiting for me to speak.

“I’m leaving, Nick.” I raised my eyes up to his, showing him the bruise. He winced. “I’m leaving the Pack.”  

He swallowed, his Adam’s apple bobbing. “W-why?”

“We…” I sighed. “We need to cool off. We need some space. I need to think.”

He walked over towards me and pushed my hair behind my ear, eyeing the ugly bruise on my cheek.

“I am so terribly sorry. I have no idea what came over me, but I just missed you so damn much.”

I closed my eyes and breathed out. “Did you mean what you said?”

Nick shook his head. “Absolutely not. I didn’t mean one single word.”

I nodded and my heart clenched when I looked into his eyes and saw hurt and regret. I wanted to change my mind and stay with him, but I just couldn’t. I couldn’t do it. I had to leave. I needed time to think.