18. Uncle

18. Uncle

DELILAH

I like to think that I had passed the Change in the cage with flying colours, but as I watched the way Matt reacted to Caelon in his wolf form, I think I had failed the test. I remember cowering away after I had snapped at them as if it was yesterday. Perhaps that’s why Nick had restrained me when I finally came to.

I seemed like even though I Changed while I was unconscious, it was like my body sensed the danger of the Pack, which I’m pretty sure it did. I thought they were a danger before they took me in. But who could blame me?

Matt was acting as if he has done this every day. Caelon stuck his hand out at Matt and he had sniffed it and rubbed into the Australian’s hand. Caelon’s hand stroked Matt’s dark brown fur, smiled and stepped away, nodding at me to take his place.

I stood in front of Matt and reached my hand out to him, my palm facing the cold, damp ground. He sat on his haunches and gently took my fingers in his mouth and nibbled them gently. I laughed.

It was shocking to see Matt in wolf form. I never thought that he was a werewolf—the thought never crossed my mind—and it was surreal. In wolf form the tips of his ears reached my eyebrows. Excusing the fact that I’m short, he didn’t scare me while he was in wolf form. He was still the Matt I had known in high school and he won’t change.

He let go of my fingers and I ran my hand down his head. I scratched in between his ears, knowing that it felt really good while in wolf form. Matt’s chest rumbled. He reached up and licked my face, causing me to let out an embarrassing high-pitched squeal.

I backed away and looked over at Nick. He smiled and stepped forward. This time, Matt put his tail between his legs and whined. Caelon stepped forward to move behind Nick, but he held up a tanned hand.

“It’s fine, Cael. He needs to accept that he needs to be submissive.”

Caelon stepped back again and clenched his fists at his side.

“I’m sure it’ll be okay.” I whispered.

“I’m unsure how I feel about him.” Caelon whispered back and looked at me sideways. “I know he’s your mate, but I’m wary about him.”

I put my hand on his shoulder. “Matt’s a good guy.”

He nodded, tense. I mistook his tenseness for the scene in front of him, but then he opened his mouth and abruptly shut it.

“Spit it out, Cael.” I said, irritated.

He glanced at me and then looked away. “Are you sure Matt’s your mate?”

I blinked.

He rushed on to explain. “I mean, you could just be mad at Nick for…” his voice trailed off as he glanced at the bruise on my cheek, then reached my eyes. “I just want you to be sure. Nick was really hurt over you disappearing and then you leaving. He was snappy and angry and…it wasn’t pretty. I’ve never seen him like that. Ever. And I’m his best friend, I’ve seen every side of Nick except that side. Surely you guys are mates.”

I shook my head. “I’ve known Matt since elementary school and—”

“Well, are you sure you just didn’t miss him?”

I opened my mouth to speak but was cut off by shadows looming over us. We both glanced up to see Nick and Matt standing there with their arms crossed over their chests. Matt was in human form—his eyes shining bright as his was skin flushed and sweaty from the Change back.

Nick’s face was flushed with anger as he glared at Caelon. “You’re out of line, Cael. What happened in our relationship is between Delilah and I. Not you. Not anyone else in the Pack.”

Caelon winced, but nodded and walked upstairs. Nick sighed and ran a hand through his hair. He looked at Matt and gave him a tense smile. “Congrats, Matt. You’re a new member of the Pack. Usually, we’d have a Pack hunt the next day, but under the current circumstances…”

He smiled. “I understand, Nick. Thank you.”

Nick smiled back. “No problem.”

He walked up the stairs and left the basement, leaving Matt and I alone. I looked up at him and smiled. He smiled back, leaned down and kissed me, lifting me off my feet and spinning me around.

Matt’s hands moved onto my rear and I leaned further into and wrapped my legs around his waist. Matt and I only broke apart when we heard a throat clear. I jumped away from him and dropped onto the ground. I spun around and saw an amused Jared. My face flushed as I stared at one of Nick’s brothers.

“Um,” Jared had a hint of laughter in his voice, “dinner’s ready.” He rubbed his hand over his mouth, shaking his head and went up the stairs.

My face was flushed with embarrassment, my mouth gaping. Matt laughed and brushed past me and went upstairs. I quickly followed, not liking the dark basement. When we were upstairs, everyone sitting at the table looked over at us and Jared winked.

Oh, God.

“Why does it seem,” Kyle said, “that you’re always embarrassed?”

“’Cause werewolves are nosy and it’s my punishment for living with mostly all boys.”

“But remember,” Nick looked up from his ham and raised an eyebrow, “after our…bedroom time—”

That’s what you’re going to call it?”

“—you automatically assumed that my whole family heard when they didn’t. You embarrass yourself.”

Matt laughed and I hit his arm. “What is this? Pick on Delilah day or something?”

Eric smiled. “Yes, but just because you’re so easy to pick on.”

I grumbled under my breath and took a seat beside Nick and Matt sat down next to me. I looked at all the numerous items on the table in front of me and started shovelling food onto my plate.

Halfway through a quiet dinner, Jared leaned back and looked at Matt. “So, Matthew… why is your scent weaker than it should be?”

Matt swallowed his food. “I’m hereditary and my dad wasn’t an Alpha or Beta, so my scent isn’t as potent as you should expect it to be.”

I thought about Matt’s father—Mr. Carson. He was the nicest person I had ever met and I missed him. A lot. Matt looked like his dad—he had the same bone structure, eyes and body. I never expected Matt to be a werewolf, let alone his father.

“Was your dad a Pack wolf?” I asked him.

“No,” Matt’s eyes softened. “I mean, he was temporarily.”

“What happened?” Emily asked, leaning forward.

Matt looked down at his plate and I squeezed his hand underneath the table. He squeezed back. “The Pack was…old fashioned. My father mated with my mother who was a human, but the Pack didn’t pick her, so they banished him. My Uncle was Pack leader at the time.”

“Who’s your Uncle?” Eric asked.

Matt skin looked a funny tinge of green. “Noah.”

A/N: Told you it was big. Don't worry, I'm about to write chapter 16.