13. Whiplash

13. Whiplash

DELILAH

After Tristan was fed and changed, the four of us gathered in the living room. Peyton bent over and placed her son into the baby swing and the swing moved slowly from side to side.

She sat down beside Mason, snuggling into his side. “Okay, we need to go shopping.”

I laughed. Of course that would be the first thing on Peyton’s mind. Mine however was Noah. I still hadn’t solved the heir issue. I’m thinking about telling him that I had a miscarriage. I could easily email him. I’ll do that later.

“I’m fine for right now.”

Peyton nodded. “You can wear my clothes for right now. We’re the same size.”

I smiled. “Sounds good.”

Peyton got up and moved towards the kitchen counter, grabbing her phone. “Next up, calling Matt.”

She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively and grinned. I rolled my eyes.

“You really don’t have to call him.”

Even as I said the words, I didn’t mean it. As soon as she said Matt’s name, my stomach erupted in butterflies. He was my teenage heart throb. Matt was the football team’s Quarterback. He had a million dollar smile, full lips, hazel eyes that you could melt under and beautiful brown hair. In other words, he was every girl’s dream guy.

“Ooh, I see that look. Mason, do you see that?” Peyton’s voice brought me back to reality. “That’s the look of a love struck teenager.”

I held up my hand. “Not only am I not a teenager, but I am also not love struck.”

Mason grinned and looked over at his girlfriend. “I saw it, babe, don’t worry.”

I rolled my eyes and my heart stopped as I head her phone on speaker. It was ringing. Damn.

“Hello?” A deep, sexy voice asked from the other side of the line. Matt’s voice was slightly deeper than I remember. He’d always had a nice voice though.

“Hey, Matty. Guess what.”

“You learned how to fly?”

I smiled. Matt’s always been witty.

Peyton rolled her eyes. “No, I—”

“Wait, wait! Let me guess! Um… you realized how sexy I am?”

Peyton let out a hearty laugh. “As true as that statement is, no. Guess who I found?”

I could just imagine Matt smiling as he spoke. “Ooh, so it’s a someone. In that case, I have no idea. Hit me.”

“Delilah.”

Silence went over the line. Peyton checked to see if he hung up. He hadn’t.

“Delilah as in Delilah Scott, Delilah?”

“Yep.”

“Is she…” he cleared his throat, “over at your house?”

“Yeah…”

With that, the line went dead.

“Well… we know where he’s going to be in five minutes.” Peyton winked and I sunk in deeper into the couch, blushing like a high schooler.

Mason smiled at me. “Do you watch hockey?”

I shrugged. “I used to. Not in the last six years though.”