23. Wake

23. Wake

DELILAH

Emily and I sat in Noah’s study with Doug. We were waiting for Noah to give us the rules regarding the heir business. He had left two minutes ago, claiming that he had to go on a last minute run to “get more energy,” as he had put it. Matt had stayed behind. Emily shuddered after he left, so now we were waiting for the perfect time.

 I had talked to my mother about the plan we had after Emily had left the room. She agreed that what we had to do, she would support it. She also said that killing the Pack had no effect on her whatsoever.

We waited a few more minutes to make sure that Noah was far enough away from the house. Emily stood up and walked over to Doug, straddling his lap.

“Do you remember when you said you wanted me?” She purred.

He nodded hastily.

“You have a perfect opportunity right now.” She whispered in his ear. “It must be horrible to see your oldest son running that Pack and all you’re doing is taking orders from him. How do you think he would feel if you had my first?”

She was doing a fantastic job. The plan was simple—make Doug fall for Emily’s tricks and words, snap his neck and drop him out the window. We wanted it to look like an accident.

Doug swallowed as Emily’s breath moved across his skin, down his neck. Her hands went up into his hair as she bit her lip. His lips found her neck as her hands moved to his neck, bracing her fingers. In one swift movement, she snapped his head back and broke his neck.

She jumped back from him and looked back at me with pure disgust in her eyes. Not from snapping his neck, but from the display she just performed.

Now came the tricky part. Noah wasn’t stupid and werewolves are agile, so we couldn’t say he slipped and broke his neck. Noah would never buy that. Of course, we could just throw him out the window and make a run for it.

I suggested that to Emily and she picked him up, chucking him out the open window. We ran downstairs and hissed at Matt to get up off the couch and make a run for it. We ran all the way over to Cliffhold and slammed the door shut, cutting off the frigid air.

“Good acting, Emily.” I laughed. “I actually believed you.”

She smiled. “High school drama class, and it really paid off. That guy just grossed me out.”

Emily ran out into the living room and playfully slapped Eric’s rear, running up the stairs followed by Eric. I walked into the living room with Matt by my side and dialed Peyton’s number.

“Hey, girl!” Her cheery voice whispered across the line.

“Hey, I just called to tell you that Matt and I might not be home tonight.”

“Ah, I getcha.” Peyton said with a giggle. “Matt leaves tomorrow and you have to say your goodbyes.”

 “You caught us.” Sarcasm dripped in my voice as I rolled my eyes.

She laughed softly. “Well, good thing you’re not coming home. Mason is cranky, he’s been up all night with Tristan. Poor guy.” I heard a soft cry in the background and a curse. Peyton sighed. “Well, I suppose I should go help him out. I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“For sure, bye.” I hung up the phone before she could respond.

“How’d it go?”

I jumped at the voice and turned around to face Nick. “God,” I put my hand over my heart, “don’t scare me like that!”