15. Confusion

13. Confusion

DELILAH

Matt’s eyes widened as I looked up at him. I inhaled deeply and recognized the werewolf scent immediately. How did I not catch it sooner? However, something was off about his scent. It was weaker than any other werewolves I smelled.  

Matt turned around and looked at Nick. “No, I’m not.”

Nick shook his head. “You are. I’m an Alpha. I know what a werewolf smells like.”

Matt’s eyes widened even more and he rubbed the back of his neck. He glanced down at me and then looked back over at Nick. Nick crossed his arms.

“She knows, lover boy. Take a whiff of her,” he whispered softly.

Matt’s nostrils flared as he inhaled, he blinked as he stared at me. After the shock went away, he glared at Nick and put his arms around my waist, hugging me to his chest.

“What did you do to her?” Matt growled. I’ve never heard him angrier.

Nick crossed his arms. “I didn’t do anything.”

“How is she a werewolf then?” Matt hissed.

I looked up at him and pulled his face down to look at me. “I’ll talk to you about it later. I promise, babe.”

His eyes searched my face and then he nodded and turned back to look at Nick. “Did you happen to explain to her the mate process?”

Nick rolled his eyes. “Of course. I wouldn’t mate with her if—”

Matt released me and moved toward the front door and slammed it shut. I glanced behind me and saw that I was left alone with Nick. This was the last thing I wanted. I didn’t want to confront Nick without him here.

So, now you’re a coward? Now I had to rely on Matt to protect me? What was going on?

I was brought back to reality and laughed at him. “Don’t even lie. You didn’t tell me about the process—Noah did. And I don’t even know if he told me the full version.”

Nick snorted. “I was more of a mate to you then he even faked. So, you can stop acting like this is all my fault.”

I walked toward Nick, looking up at him. “Yeah, you were a good mate, I’ll hand you that. But this—” I pointed at my bruised cheek, “was your fault. I would still be with you if you didn’t completely go against what I opened up to you about and punched me because you let the animal come out. You were mad because I left and went with Noah which, by the way, I was trying to help you by making him a deal. And you repay me by punching me and calling me a princess? I was going to talk to you about it after reunited but you insisted that you were mad at me.”

He snorted again. “’Reunited’? That’s what you call it? You are unreal.”

“You don’t even care that I made a deal with Noah?”

He growled. “Of course I care. I care about you—a lot.” He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “I love you, okay? Obviously I care. I just… I don’t know why we can’t get over this little rough patch.”

“Because you hit me!” I screeched. Nick winced as the sound hurt his ears. “I told you about my abusive past and all about Noah and yet you lose control! I can’t afford for you lose control again and we reach another ‘rough patch’. I just can’t do it, Nick. I’m sorry.”

Nick’s eye welled up with tears, but as fast as they were there they were gone. Before I could realize what was happening, Nick grabbed my face and smashed his lips against mine. I froze, confusion setting in, until I put my hands on his chest and shoved him away. I growled and wiped my mouth.