20. Jealousy

20. Jealousy

DELILAH

Matt and I went back to Peyton’s. The walk was silent as we held hands. When we got inside the house, however, the silence was broken. Tristan was screaming in a tired looking Mason’s arms. Matt and I pretended like it didn’t make our ears ring. Matt sighed.

“Here,” he had his arms outstretched, “let me try.”

Mason shrugged and put Tristan gently into Matt’s arms. “He’s been colicky lately.”

Matt held Tristan close to his chest, and rocked him gently back and forth. The sight was utterly heartwarming—he looked so cute with a baby. He looked so comfortable with Tristan. “He’s a newborn. He won’t have proper sleeping patterns this early.”

“Where’s Peyton?” I asked, sitting on the couch.

“Sleeping. She’s been up for the past couple of days with Tristan, so it’s my turn.” Mason sighed and sunk onto the couch. “We switch nightly shifts.”

I smiled. “That’s a good way to do it. If I ever have kids I’d do it that way.” I looked over at Matt, who was snuggling a whimpering Tristan whose head was in the crook of Matt’s neck.

Matt’s hazel eyes looked down into mine and I felt my heart skip a beat. The look he gave me was so possessive and filled with love that I knew he was serious. I was his even though we haven’t mated. And he was mine.

Regarding the mating process, I wanted to take my time with Matt. I rushed into things with Nick and I feel like our relationship also faltered because we rushed into things. I wanted to do it right this time.

“You guys should go to sleep,” Mason chuckled, “it’s almost one in the morning.”

I didn’t realize we were over at Cliffhold for that long. It seemed like we were only there for an hour, but I guess time flies.

I nodded, and stood up along with Mason. He reached forward and took a now sleeping Tristan gently out of Matt’s arms. I walked upstairs into my room and fell flat on my stomach. The door opened softly and I heard Matt’s low chuckle through the room. I heard the rustle of clothes and the blankets lifted up beside me.

I got up onto my elbows and looked at Matt—the blanket covered his hips, leaving his bare legs and chest open. My eyes drifted back up to his.

“Please tell me you’re wearing boxers…”

Matt smiled. “Why don’t you see for yourself?”

I lifted up the blanket slowly and yelped, putting the cover back in place. “Why are you naked?” I whispered the last word, my cheeks heating up.

“I always sleep like this. It’s very comfortable.” He winked.

My cheeks got even hotter. “Making yourself right at home, I see.”

“You should try it.” He chuckled.

“I have, and I prefer sleeping fully clothed.” I got underneath the covers, in my jeans and t-shirt and turned over to face Matt.

He leaned forward and kissed me. I wrapped my arms around his neck and ran my hands through his hair. He leaned over me slightly and I pulled back hastily.

“We’re not having sex, Matt.”

“Why? We’re mates, aren’t we? You had sex with Nick and you guys aren’t mates.”

I blinked and shoved him back. “Why are you mad at me for that?”

“Because he touched you when he knew he should’ve.”