21. Confrontation

21. Confrontation

DELILAH

I woke up the next morning to the sound of a screeching Tristan. I groaned and rested my head back into Matt’s side, inhaling his scent. I put a leg over his and sighed contently.

“Good morning, beautiful.” Matt said into my hair, smiling. “A guy could get used to this.”

Most girls would say “I’m not beautiful,” but I’m not like that. I never was. If I receive a compliment, I take it. It was how Brandon and Lucy raised me.

“Good morning, handsome. You stole my line.” I giggled.

Matt fake gasped. “You’re a man? And you never told me?”

I laughed and shoved off of his chest. “You’re funny.”

He put his hands behind his head. “I know I am.”

I rolled my eyes and went into the bathroom across the hall, starting the shower. I undressed and stepped into it, the hot water cascading down my back. I used this time to think things through.

Matt had said that I could be hereditary. I just didn’t understand how. Maybe I could believe it if my history was written down somewhere, but it wasn’t. My mother was human and my father a powerful Beta. Just because he was powerful, doesn’t mean that I would be hereditary.

Of course, if you’re a male, only your father needs to be a werewolf. If you’re a girl, you’re human. End of story. So what was Matt talking about that I was hereditary?

After my shower, I wrapped a towel around my body and walked into my room, relieved to find it empty. I quickly shed the towel and pulled on new underwear and a bra along with black jeans and a blue shirt. I let my wet hair fall down my back in ringlets. I really needed that shopping spree with Peyton to happen.

I walked downstairs and into the kitchen. I saw Matt with a platter of ham, scrambled eggs and toast with real butter. My heart soared when he remembered my favourite breakfast. It was sweet of him.

His cellphone was glued to his ear as he talked to someone on the other line. He sounded very professional. Whoever he was talking to must’ve been important.

I piled my plate with everything on the table and ate. Everything tasted so good and was warm. Matt was a good cook.

When we were younger and at one of our weekend sleepovers, Peyton and I would burn the popcorn, causing Matt to sigh and make two brand new bags. We didn’t know how to properly cook anything.

Matt hung up the phone and sat down next to me.

“Who was that?” I asked after I swallowed.

“My coach.”

I was confused for a moment. Then I remembered that he was in the NHL.

“Oh, what’d he say?”

“He needs me to start practice again. I’ve cut too many and he needs me to fly back to Toronto.”

I groaned. “When?”

“Tomorrow. That’s why if we’re going to confront Noah, we have to do it today.”

I nodded and put my empty plate into the sink. “Let me call Nick and tell him.”

I pulled out my cellphone and dialed Nick’s number. He answered with a groan.

“Hello?”

“It’s me.”

“I was kind of in the middle of something, Delilah.”