Chapter 5

"Tomorrow at 2" I repeated

"Listen honey, your father and I are so proud that you got a callback, but we just feel that maybe this wasn't such a good idea" My moms legs stumbled over to the couch.

"What? You were the one that forced me into this in the first place and now you're going to tell me that I cant?"
My voice raised.

"Dont use that tone when youre talking to me. Your Father and I discussed it and youre not going. Period. End of story" she yelled back at me.

I sat silently for a second, thinking.
"Mom."

"What?" She glares at me

"Im fucking going" I yelled, stomping up the stairs. Wiping away the single tear that had fallen down my face from frustration.

I walked into my room and slammed the door behind me.

It was truley ironic. My parents coming home completely drunk and wanting nothing to do with anything but picking a fight with me.

I kept telling myself to relax, that she was drunk and would wake up tomorrow, not remembering anything.

I lay under my blankets on my bed. Closing my eyes. I was going to that script reading. And I was getting that part. I didnt care what anybody else would tell me.

|~*~|

My alarm clock went off next to my ear at one oclock. I had another restless night, but sleeping into the afternoon made it so much worse.

I get up and drag myself to the shower. I stood in the water longer than I thought, forty minutes went by. Leaving me, once again, with little time to get ready.

I quickly throw my hair up in a towel and pick out a pair of dark washed jeans and a white t-shirt.

I slip on my vans, crushing my fingers between the fabric and my heal.

It took me about half the time it usually did to do my makeup, but long enough to leave me to be there in ten minutes.

I run the hairdryer through my wet hair a few times, not helping anything but to make it frizzy. I push my hair into a ponytail and dont bother to critique the bumps.

I grab my stuff and walk downstairs. Leaving without saying anything. They werent awake, I was running late, and they wouldnt let me go anyway.

I arrive at Starbucks fifteen minutes late.

I look around and see that Jace is already sitting at a table, I casually walk over to him and fake a grin.

"Sorry. Im running late" I sat down across from him.

"No worries" he's gaze still trapped onto me.

"So um," I awkwardly tapped my fingers on the table
"Do you have the script I need?"

"Oh, yeah, here" He pushes a white piece of paper across the table to me.

I raise an eyebrow "This is it?"
I guess for a call back I had expected more than a page.

"That's it" He looked down at his copy. "Dan says a page is enough to prove yourself."

My eyes widened at the comment as I read through it.

"You wanna give it a shot?

"I guess" I scoot up to the edge of my seat, my feet bouncing slightly off the bar of the chair.

"Okay you start"

I nodded and read though it slowly once. My words choppy and mixed up that by the time it was over I didnt feel like even looking at Jace.

"You're nervous. Its okay, relax. We'll try again okay?"

I nodded. His calming words made the difference for me to be able to actually act instead of fumbling over all of the words.

After about an hour of practicing the same lines over and over, we put the script away and just talked for a little while.

"What are your favorite things to do on your days off?" I make causual small talk.

"Depends on my mood I guess, I hang out with Sean a lot outside of work, he's pretty cool. You?"

"Well I moved here not too long ago. So I dont know much about anywhere. But I like the beach, not much of those back home."

He smiled, his eyes glued to me.

"What?" I smiled slightly.

"Your accent. Scottish right?"

I nodded "Moving to America has made me notice how incredibly lame it is"

"Its cute. Besides, American accents are boring."

I shrugged, "Well I like them"

|~*~|

Jace opened the door for me on our way out. I thank him with a nod.

"You know," He spoke "I dont think im supposed to tell you this but, you've got a good shot at this."

I grinned as we stand outside,
"Thanks..."

"I mean it, the other girls- I mean so far its pretty obvious whos gonna get it"

I shook my head at the ground.
"Ill see you next week. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it."

I began walking away, leaving him there when he called after me.

I turned around to find him closer than I thought. Almost running into him.

I backed up slightly "Yeah?"

"Look," He sighed "I cant go a week without seeing you again"

"What?"

"I want to get to know you"

I watched him silently.

"...You know, just in case we work together or something."

I slightly laughed at his hopeful face.
"Meet me at the beach port tomorrow.
One o'clock."

He nodded "Okay"

"Ill, see you later Jace"

As I turned to walk home I imagined him watching me, his grim smile stuck on his face until I was out of sight down the corner.

He liked me, and for once in my life, I was sure about something.