Chapter 34

I lay warmly dressed across my bed. My wet hair attaching strand by strand onto my comforter. I was procrastinating to get out of bed, procrastinating to see him leave.

Today was the day, the day that he'd just leave. Half a year without him and things would ve rough.

I pull myself out of bed and start to head over to his house, knowing that if I waited any longer, he'd get another ride and I'd miss saying goodbye.

I walked there, hating to drive. Only rarely I'd do it; only being a few months into having my license.

I arrive a few blocks down to his doorstep. He opens it, toothbrush in his mouth. He leaves the door open for me, hustling upstairs without a word.

I come in, remaining by the front door, but calling my hellos to his parents into the kitchen. His mom finds me, a dish rag in her hands. Her eyes were tired, despite being mid afternoon, but her smile was warm.

"Hi Em. How are you?"

"Great. You?"

"I'm doing just fine, thanks"

"You guys excited for your trip?"

"It'll be nice to see some family back in Mexico again. Dangerous though, which is why we're aren't taking any chances bringing Jace"

I chuckle lightly, she had always been so paranoid. She looks down at her thin wrist watch and sighs, heading to the bottom of the stairs.

"Let's go hun you're going to be late" she turns towards me.
"You don't mind driving him? You sure?"

"Its no problem Mrs.Norman"

"We appreciate it, we've got a lot of packing to do"

"When do you guys leave?"

"Tomorrow night"

Jace comes carelessly down the stairs, reaching the bottom and coming towards me.

"Hey baby" he smiles, wrapping his arms around my hips and pecking my cheek, letting go to get his things together.

I pick up his stuffed backpack as he makes his way into the kitchen to say his goodbyes.

His parents give one last "Drive safe" before we head out to the car.

I open the trunk, putting his things in for him.
"I don't know how you packed so light. I would have had at least three suitcases"

"Its called a washing machine." He gets into the drivers seat next to me. "And, believe it or not, they have them in Canada too"

"Learn something new everyday" my eyes roll playfully. His hand finds mine as he drives, knowing that id be happy with the least amount of time driving as possible within the four hours round trip.

We use the radio to drown out the silence, trying to avoid speaking out feelings to each other. I didn't want to start an argument hours before he'd have to leave, but I couldn't take much more of it.

So won't you send me, your location
Let's focus on communicatin' 'cause
I just need the time and place to come through
Send me your location
Let's ride the vibrations
I don't need nothing else but you-

I shut it off. I had to ask him.

"Is Casey, going?"

"Going where?" His looks meet mine, but stumbled back to the road.

"Canada, with you"

"For the first couple weeks," he hesitates "to help make sure I settle into my new job."

"Where's she staying?"

"You serious right now?"

"Yeah"

He laughs to himself sarcastically,
"I hate when you get like this"

"I'm not trying to start an argument, " My arms cross "It was just a question"

He sighs, taking away his hand from mime and running it through his hair,
"Probably a hotel"

"Probably?"

"Stop"

"Sorry" I sigh, resting my head against the window; allowing the radio back in to drown out the awkwardness the was slowly growing between us.

We find a parking spot, one fairly close to security and his gate. I take his backpack once more as he drags his suitcase behind him. Grabbing my hand despite what had happened, he wanted people to know.

He stops at the line before security, turbo g towards me with a sad smile on his face,
"This is it"

"This is it" I sigh lightly accepting his hug, not allowing his to let go for a while. My eyes begin to sting, I cry silently, regretting the moment that is have to say goodbye and watch my best friend leave.

He senses my tears, his arms stricening around me a little tighter as he fingers find my hair.
"Hey, babe it's going to be okay"

"I know" I pull away, wiping my face off with my sleeve, "I told myself I wouldn't damn cry"

"Ill call you when I land, okay?" He kisses my forehead lightly, indicating that he had to go. But my arms didn't budge from him.

"Call me every night, okay?"

"A promise is a promise"

"And everytime you're free"

"Baby, I have to go" he chuckles lightly, grabbing onto my hands to take them off of him. He holds them in his between us.

"Okay" I nod. He puts his lips on mine gently for just short of a few seconds before pulling away, his fingers pushing back pieces of my loose hair.

"Goodbye" he grins, kissing my forehead one last time before talking his backpack from me, making his way to the line.

I turn, beginning to walk, not wanting to watch as he leaves, it was the only thing keeping me from not jumping on that plane with him.

I walk by myself back to the car, getting into the drivers seat. I glance around at the commotion filled parking garage, not wanting to drive anywhere on my own.

Six months was a long time