Chapter 28

It had been a week. One of the quickest weeks of my life. And although we weren't hanging out like we used to, we've gotten comfortable enough with each other to be able to watch tv together.

Everything was the same every day, cold breakfast in the morning, warm showers, tv, pizza, more tv and family dinner. They said too much change everyday would be bad for him.

But towards the end of the week, our breakfast was a little bit warmer. I studied him like it was a grade, and every now and then, id see little sparks of his past come back to him.

Thursday night, while waiting for his parents to come home, I scrolled through the guide on tv, trying to find something to fulfill our boring afternoon other then MasterChef and The Office, when I pass Henry Danger. He stopped me, and my heart fluttered with hope.

"Henry Danger" he repeated until he locked eyes with me.
"Am i..."

My eyes fire with anticipation, hoping that maybe, maybe he'd remember me through remembering his career.

"I work on that show"

My head nodded slowly. But there was nothing after that.

It was the last bit of hope.

But then Friday rolled around. Today had been different. No dinner tonight, instead the Normans took a night to themselves after a long week. Leaving us with pizza for the second time today.

I pull the half eaten box out of the fridge, putting pieces into the microwave and sitting myself up onto the counter. My bare legs swinging to the rhythm of an overly played song stuck in my head.

"So what do you do?" Jaces voice alarms out of him suddenly, leaning against the doorway of the kitchen.

"What do I do?" My eyebrows raise.

He nods.

"I'm an actor"

"You too?"

"Me too"

"We work together?"

"That's how we met" I nod, taking our food out to the counter.

"What do you play"

"Girlfriend"

"That's ironic"

I shove my food in my mouth, connecting his eyes with mine. We remain for what feels like an eternity, until suddenly, my selfishness kicks in, and I can no longer take not being close to him anymore.

I instruct him to follow me, he complains, but leaves the rest of his pizza on the plate and follows me towards the back door.

"What are we doing?" he walks carefully on the sand with his bare feet as I drag him towards the only familiar place between us.

I remain silent, pulling him over the ocean towards the sun setting in pinks and purples.

The wood beneath us is warm and rough, a long, silent walk down reminds me of the awkwardness between us. But he smiles lightly, looking around at a place that he wasn't familiar with.

"This is beautiful"

"Yeah" i attempt to meet his gaze as we stand at the end, but his shifts from left to right, inspecting the setting around us.

"Does this bring back anything?" My eyes are gentle.

He locks eyes with me, his head shaking lightly,
"No, sorry"

"Yeah" i sigh, turning my body to look over the edge, "thought so"

"You okay?"  He leans over next to me.

"Yeah"

"I'm sorry"

"I'm just, losing you"

"You're not"

"I feel so dumb, you know? I feel at fault for everything."

"We all make mistakes, Emily"

"Not like mine" my head rests in my hands.

"That's not true"

"What's your biggest mistake?"

"I told my parents I hated them a few years back, and I was with Maeve. I've had my share."

I chuckle lightly,
"Yeah, I guess"

My eyes lock on crashing waves, and silence sinks in as I focus on our past conversation, my eyes lighting up seconds later.
"Wait, what did you just say?"

"I told my parents I hated them and I was with Maeve?"  He repeated.

"I never told you anything about Maeve..."

"Holy shit" his words were breathless as he looks at me, wide eyed.
"Comicon.."

"Comicon.." I repeated

"You were there"

I nod, a small smile creeping across my lips. A time I had been waiting for.

"On stage I- woah" he whispers, his hand finding the railing where mine still lay. I watch his face as his forehead scrunched. Everything sinking in all the sudden.
"The night we met here we..."

"Yikes" I snort, my eyes traveling back to the water.

"Emily..."

I stare at him as he's at loss of words. His fingers move unsurly

"I was on my way to see you.."

I attach myself to him, wrapping my arms around his waist tightly, crying with guilt.
"I am so sorry..."

"Don't be. Hey," he slowly wraps his arms around my head, resting his hand lightly within my hair. "Its okay"

My arms lock around him, not wanting to let go, but his arms release, leaving me no choice but to do the same.
"What do we do?"

"About what?"

"Us"

"We'll figure it out, em"