Chapter 26

My eyes adjust to the light creeping through the blinds. The rest of my body adjusting to the soft murmurs of television broadcasters.

I pull my head up from leaning on the back end of the chair, greeted with wide eyes as they look back at me from being peeled off the tv.

"I wasn't expecting you to stay here all night"

"I told you I wasn't leaving." I mumble, slipping my shoes back on my feet.

I dig my phone out from the crack of the chair, reading the white numbers printed across the screen.

Almost ten in the morning.

"You've been up long?"

"A few hours" His attention directs back to the screen.

I nod lightly, pushing my hair behind my ear as my eyes set on him,
"Do you want some coffee?"

"What's coffee?"

My eyebrows raise as a smug smile creeps across his face, causing my to shake my head.

"I see your sense of humor hasn't left" I pull down at the door handle,
"I'll be back"

I hold my phone up to my ear, using my hand to cover the other as I enter the talkative cafeteria.

The other end rings a few times, but its sent to my mom's voicemail early. She had stopped the call, by now I was sure she had figured it out.

Both hands filled with coffee, I make my way past the lounge, my eyes catching the contact of jaces parents.

"Goodmorning" I approach.

"Morning"

"Do you guys want some coffee?"

"No thanks, we just got back from some breakfast" Mr.Norman smiles, the lack of sleep reflecting off of it.

"Your parents are here" His mom smiles

"They are?" The inside of me sinks with fear as I look around.

"Your mom's using the restroom, your dad went to go get car."

I breathe in through my teeth sharply,
"Were they mad?"

"We talked to them Em, don't worry" She winks lightly. Causing my nerves to plummet into almost nothing.
"How's jace doin?"

"Great. I'm just gonna go drop this off to him. I'll be back so you guys can go in"
I walk away after grinning at them. Impressions were important, even in times like these.

I walk back through the door, handing him the warm drink as he smiles, nodding a thank you.

I sit back down, crossing my feet as I stare down at my lid.
"My parents are here. I'll probably have to go soon"

He nods.

"But I'll be back soon okay? I'm not giving up on this shit"

"Okay, Emily" my name comes off almost foreign from his lips. Forced and unsure as if he was second guessing himself of that being my name.

"I'll see ya' " I walk out, painfully and slowly, debating whether to turn around and hug him or not. But i just, keep walking.

As I make my way into the lounge, the Normans head out to jaces room. His mom stopping me as she pasts.

"We'll see you soon" she grins, pulling me into a hug as his dad smiles too.

"Thank you for letting me see Jace."

"Of course."

I turn back, approaching my parents as they sit in the once empty seats next to his parents'.

"Hey guys..."

They looked unimpressed.

"I know, okay. I'm not supposed to be here, I messed u-"

"We know," my mom stands, brushing the hair from her face, "We know what happened, we're just glad he's okay."

"A text would have been nice" My dad clears his throat.

"I'm sorry"

"We can discuss it at home."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°

I climb in the back, meeting my mom's eyes in the review mirror as she proceeds to drive home.

"How did you get here?"

"Rose drove us" I mumble.

"Rose?"

"My friend. Our neighbor"

"She has her license?"

"Permit"

"Jesus christ" my dad mumbles.

"You girls could have gotten fined for that, her parents would have been in a lot of trouble."

"I know, mom. I wasn't thinking straight, okay? I was scared."

The pursing of her lips ended the conversation for the ride back home.

Silence alluded the car, and I took it in, knowing that there wouldnt be much time before the screaming matches began at home.

But it never really seemed to have come.

I follow them into the kitchen once we get home. My body flopping down at the barstool as they place themselves on the other side of the island.

"Your father and I need to discuss some things with you" my mom watches both my eyes, back and forth from one to another.

"I know" I sigh, preparing for the wrath of how irresponsible I was.

"Despite what happened last night, we've decided that we're flying out to Scotland to visit some friends."

"Wait," my head raises in confusion, "what?"

"Cindy's brother passed away. We're going for the funeral"

"Were going back to scotland?" I grin, but it fades as they both continuously shake their heads.

"No Emily, we're going back to Scotland, you are staying here"

"Oh" I sink back down again.

"But we're not leaving you here, by yourself. Not after what happened last night" my dad's strict voice peirces my ears, my mom notices the harshness in his voice, taking over.

"Its only for a few weeks" she says, "We talked to the Normans. They said that they would love to have you over there, so that's where you're going to stay."

I smile again, nodding. But she continues,

"But here's the deal. We aren't dumb, alright? Neither us or Jace's parents. Obviously we're not going to just let you and your little boyfriend be by yourselves together. You sleep in different rooms, one of them will almost always be there to keep an eye on you guys and when they're not, we're trusting you guys not to do the wrong thing. Got it? Jace has been through a lot, don't make it hard for him."

"He doesn't even remember me mom. Trust me, there's no need to worry."

She sighs at my grim tone, lightly leaning towards me as she smiles,
"Hey, he won't not remember you forever, you know"

I stare into her sympathetic eyes,
"I know"