Prologue

Vampire Diaries is a trademark of the Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. Story and original Characters are copyright, All Rights Reserved. All additional characters placed in the story below, including the story written, are Copyright.

Any names that relate to a real name, are a complete coincidence.

© All Rights Reserved 2013

~*~

I dedicated this to one of my readers, who has supported me through all my books! SHe's honeslty amazing! Thank you soo much!

~*~

All Chapters - not edited

~*~

Prologue

10th century

"Alexis!" The shout of relieve rung out into the forest, leaving the echoes behind. The boy sheeted his sword when he saw his sister sitting on the cold muddy ground balling her eyes out. The blonde boy looked alarmed for his sister; she was only in a light night gown in this harsh winter weather.

He hurriedly walked towards her, gathering the petite girl in his arms. He hugged her to his chest, with a sigh of relief, glad to have found his sister. "We've been looking everywhere for you." He breathed, blinking his tears away, and instead focusing on his sisters tear stained face. "You ran away." He pointed out. "Do not fright us like that."

Somewhere in his mind, he thought his sister was gone. A little girl in the forest, on a full moon alone at night, was like bait to the beasts. They served the moon, they had to be out here. With that thought, the teenage boy wanted to get out of their as soon as he possibly could. Today he will not watch the men turn to beasts.

"T-there was a kitten." Alexis stuttered hiccuping, holding onto her brother tighter in fright. Alexis may still be a child, but she understood the stories the older kids in the village told. It is the very reason she won't sleep alone at night. It is the reason she feared the moon, the night, storms and the dark. She was a fragile glass doll, always sheltered, and protected by her many older siblings.

"Your not supposed to run away." He sighed, wiping her tears away. He focused on taking the fading trail back to the village. "Father will be furious." He muttered to himself, but Alexis heard.

Alexis cried harder, fear clouding her mind even more. "Sh," Her brother cooed. "I won't let him hurt you."

"Klaus." She sobbed.

"I'm right here sister." He said slightly rocking her in a soothing manner, as he saw the light of the village come into view.

"I found her!" Klaus shouted to the people near the village who were looking, torches in their hands. No one but Klaus had risked going into the forest to face the deadly beasts. Luckily the boy seemed to make it back safe, not encountering any.

The village people sighed in relief, knowing that no one got hurt. No one got slaughtered by beasts. Lately a lot of that had been happening and the people were worried that the beasts would begin targeting their peaceful village. Rumour of them had been spreading from village to village.

Klaus carried his sister into their home laying her onto his freshly made bed. That's when they heard their fathers screams and scolding.

"That girl will be the death of me! How dare she disobey me!"

"Michael! Calm yourself, she's a mere child." Her mother tried to reason, but you'd be a fool to think that was all it took.

Klaus lifted her sister in his arms again as his grip tightened the more closer the footsteps came.

His father walked in through the door furious as ever.

Alexis started whimpering in Klaus's arms, hiding her face in his chest.

"It wasn't her fault." Klaus said, distracting his father.

"Then please, enlighten me on who caused this." Michael said, waving his hands in many directions expressing his anger.

"I-I.." He set Alexis down on the bed as she started crying from the lost of her brother's protective arms. "I had simply asked of her to collect the last of the berries on the bushes, as we wouldn't get any when winter rolled around. She must have lost track and wandered in too far for anyones comfort." Klaus lied, as convincingly as he could. He was actually getting really good at lying, seeing as he did it so often.

A big ringing sound broke the temporary silence, as the rest of the family came scampering in. It's not like they didn't know what had happened. Michael as crewel as he could be, would not punish Alexis so harshly, and that meant it could only be one other person; Klaus.

They looked at Klaus on the ground with sympathy, but it was a regular thing. He always attracted trouble. His father and him never did get along.

Michael turned around to leave, as Alexis hurried down the bed and back to Klaus, nearly tripping over her small little feet.

"Nik!" She yelled, worriedly. Concern in her voice for her favourite brother.

"I'm alright sister." He said getting up and scooping up her sister in his arms again.

"Niklaus. Do not do that again." Their mother scolded Klaus, walking out of the room to console her husband.

Their three youngest brothers, Henrik, Kol, and Finn also left, leaving the oldest, Elijah, Klaus, Rebekah and youngest Alexis in one room.

"You should not tell such tales Klaus." Elijah stated as he was with his brother a while before Alexis disappeared.

"No. I didn't. But if my one lie prevented her from facing the wrath of father's anger, then even death does not frighten me." Klaus said. Elijah nodded leaving the room.

"Come on little Lexi, let me help get you cleaned up." Rebekah said putting her hands out for Alexis.

Alexis whimpered, but obeyed.

Dressed and cleaned, Alexis climbed into bed with Klaus, clinging onto him as if life depended on it. Klaus bought his arms around Alexis' tiny body, holding his sister close.

A brother and sister bond, that was meant to last eternity.

~*~

Authors Note:

This is just meant to be a flash back type of thing. And generally prologued are a little odd! :) The rest of the story is in first person point of view. Hope you enjoyed it! :)