Chapter 15

"Wake up!" We both heard our guard yell.

 I mumbled and wiped away gross sleep drool from my mouth, which wet a bit of the pillow.

    "Wake up!"

    "We frickin' heard you, man!" Teo yelled back, and rolled out of his bed. I blinked twice slowly, and mumbled a bit more.

    "Wake up!" We heard hard knocking.

    "I am going to literally punch your face!" Teo barked, putting on his shoes. I rubbed my eyes, and started putting on my shoes too.

 We walked out the room, but not before Teo gasped, looking under his mattress. Then we joined the line outside. As we got into the servings line, I asked.

    "What's wrong?"

    "My map's gone." He replied, shakily. "I think they found my map, bro."

    "It's going to be okay." I responded. "I'm sure they just thought someone misplaced the ma-"

    "I have red marker on it, man!" He ran his hands through his hair. "I have notes, man!"

    "Well, they didn't-"

    "I'm done for. They're just waiting, man. They're just waiting."

 After we got our breakfast, which was the same as last time, we sat down at our table.

    "You're overthinking this." I patted his back. "You're going to-"

    "What?"

 I turned around to find Grant, the big dude from before right next to us.

    "What's he overthinking?" He took a bite of his biscuit.

    "None of your business, Grant." Teo grumbled.

    "Oh," He grinned. "I think it is."

 We watched as he pulled out the map, folded from his pocket. Teo gasped.

    "Grant, please-"

    "Shut up, tiny!" He growled. "You listen to me, cause it would be a real shame if I gave this to the Ecators, huh? A map with an escape plan to get out of here with your handwriting on it?"

    "Okay, okay, just-" Teo looked around making sure no one was hearing in. "What do you want?"

    "You know what I want." He smiled, flashing his white pearls at us triumphantly.

    "Grant-"

    "I want in on it." He grinned. "You're not getting out without me having the same benefits."

    "That's impossible, it's a two-person plan!"

    "Then cut out this loser." Grant nodded towards me.

    "The two people have to come from the same room, Grant!"

    "Make. It. Happen. Or else I will destroy you." He waved the map in his face. "I'll give you two days, including today, for me to get out of here. Get cracking!"

 We watched as he walked off and into his table.

    "Oh god." I started. "We have two days."

    "Forget two days, man. I need that plan back. Best if I had it back today."

    "So, what? Even if we do it take it, he'll be perfectly able to take it back when we sleep."

    "I'll put it somewhere different."

 I stared at Grant from afar. He had the map folded in his pocket. How could we possibly take it back considering the circumstance?

    "I think I know how we could possibly take it back considering the circumstance." Teo said. "There's this guy that takes jobs. Follow me."

 We walked down a few tables, careful not to be seen by Grant. Teo stopped when we came to the table across from Grant's. There, he pat the back of a, hmm....perhaps 17 year old kid.

 He was brown skinned, and had a beard.

    "Zoinks, are you taking job offers because-"

 I stifled a laugh as soon as I heard Zoinks's ridiculous name.

    "Whatchu want, son?" He turned around, his gray eyes piercing through Teo's mind. This guy looked threatening, despite his Scooby-Doo name.

    "We need something that belongs to us back." I stepped in. "And we'd really appreciate some help."

 He smirked, then slapped me in the face.

    "Ow!" I whined. "How did no guards see that?"

    "I'm quick, new boy. How 'bout a little lesson 'bout me, huh?" He snapped his fingers in my face. "You be polite to me. Understand?'

    "I thought I was being pol-"

 He smacked me across the face again.

    "Don't talk back. Talk smack, I return the favor, 'cept without the talking. I'ma listen to the little dude, and you gonna hush."

    "Got it." I said weakly.

 He turned to Teo.

    "You know what a job counts you, right?"

    "Week's worth of breakfast, I know." Teo replied. "But I really need this thing back. Grant stole it, it's in his pocket. Please try not to be violent."

    "Violence is how I roll, son." He boomed.

    "I can tell." I muttered, only to once again be smacked across my cheek.

    "It'll be yours again by the time we get to the Gameroom."

 We nodded and left, my cheeks vibrating with pain.

 And then the bell rang.