Chapter 24

"You're welcome, you little brat." He coughed out.

    "D-do you have a phone here?"

    "No. No, I don't."

    "How am I supposed to save you?" I whispered.

    "Check what they have on them." He mumbled, nodding his head towards the dead men. I ran over to them and checked Trent's pockets. He had a pen and a smashed phone. I crawled over to Hassly's pockets, and found four cough drops and a cracked phone. Cracked, not smashed. I breathed out a sigh of relief. It seemed that every time I come in contact with a person they get a miserable end. I didn't want that pattern to continue. I was going to save this man. I quickly dialed 9-1-1.

    "Hello?" A woman responded.

    "A man was shot in the chest at a Chickasaw cabin."

    "Is he alive?"

    "Y-yes. Come quickly."

    "We need coordinates."

 With my ability, I was able to give her the exact coordinates. Even Mr. Garty looked impressed.

    "Where was he shot?"

    "Chest. I said chest."

    "Who did this?"

    "Can you stop asking questions and come already?" I hollered into the phone.

 There was a silence.

    "We'll be there in two minutes."

 The other end hung up. I turned to Mr. Garty.

    "Think you can hold on for two minutes?"

    "I'm shot in the chest, crazy." He grunted. "I don't think I can hold on for another second."

    "You have to try." I stood up. "And I have to go. But before I do...can I have your duct tape?"

    "Under the sink." He muttered.

  I already knew where it was, but I just smiled in response. I went over to the sink and opened the cabinets under it. After obtaining the duct tape, I walked towards the door. I smiled and turned around. He's going to be okay, I told myself. He won't end up like...like Teo. I turned back and walked out the cabin and began running out into the forest. But I wasn't going to be lost anymore. Not with my power.