Chapter 2 - So It Begins

[Dawn's POV]

"This is Ash Ketchum, and he will be joining the S-Class starting today."

"Sup." Ash's voice was surprisingly apathetic.

"Wait...WHAT?!" We couldn't hide our shock as our voices echoed in unison.

Five seconds.

That was all it took for school-wide silence to erupt into numerous voices.

"Oh my goodness. HE IS SO HOT!"

"LUCKY GUY! IM SO JEALOUS!"

"Isn't he the first male to make it into S-Class?!"

"More importantly—HE GETS TO BE WITH THE GIRLS!"

Meanwhile, I was still trying to recover the aftershock of the announcement.

"Did I hear that right? He is going to be in S-Class? OUR CLASS?" Serena gaped. It was my first time seeing Serena acting like this, knowing that she was usually the calm one.

"No way no way no way no way. This has gotta be a dream," Iris mumbled to herself as she curled up in a ball. Dazed, she attempted to rock herself back to sleep.

Well, that's scary. Iris has completely lost herself.

"Ahem." Mr Sycamore cleared his throat, waiting for the conversations to finish.

"If nobody has any questions or concerns, the assembly will wrap up here." As if his words triggered a bomb, hundreds of hands shot up in an instant.

"What did he get on his test that got him to S-Class?!" Someone exclaimed, announcing the concern shared of many others.

"I want to know the same thing," May spoke into the microphone, her prominent voice booming through the speaker box.

"Ash, are you okay with sharing your scores?" The principal asked out of consideration.

Despite being the center of attention, the raven-haired boy simply stood with a nonchalant demeanour. Overlooking the gazes of more than a thousand people, Ash just shrugged.

"I don't really care."

"Okay then," explained Mr. Sycamore, "his total score is 500/500, full score. This claims him the top student spot in our school, so it is only natural that he joins the S-Class."

My eyes widened as I recalled my own score, the highest being a 491/500 on the exam and that took a full week of endless studying. In a state of bafflement, I glanced over to Serena only to see that she had her hands over her mouth. She stared back at me with eyes just as wide.

"My hi-highest score was 498/500," she said in a whisper.

He beat Serena on his first try? I turned to look at the raven haired boy.

Ash Ketchum, just how smart were you?

"Are there anymore questions?" Mr Sycamore asked. This time, no one raised their hands. Everyone was too shocked to react.

From the corner of my eye, Serena's shaking hand slowly raise up. Timidly, she spoke through the microphone. "A-Ash?"

Glancing up, his head turned and for once, I could see his face clearly. He had a slightly tanned skin, and the auditorium light reflected off his hazel brown eyes, giving it a sparkle. I felt my heart give off a warm wave.

Admittedly, this person was attractive.

"What?" His sharp gaze hit Serena in a straight line, causing her to flinch.

"Um, why did you join this school?" She asked.

Good question.

It was true that Pokémon Academy was the best school in Japan, but with his incredible IQ, he should be better off studying abroad or at institutions with more advanced education. Or he could even skip a few grades.

"Why, you ask..." He put his hand on his chin, as if actually contemplating her question. After a few seconds, his eyes met hers once more.

"I dunno. Guess I just felt like it."

I blinked twice.

What? He got into the best school in Japan and claimed the top student without any studying? It was just because he was bored?!

I tried to stay calm.

Seriously.

Tried to.

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME-" Just as I was about to rationally educate (scream at) him, the door to the assembly door was flattened with May's flying sidekick.

As expected from the karate champion's daughter... But when did she even get there?!

"Ash Ketchum!" Pointing towards the raven-haired boy, her voice boomed throughout the room. "I challenge you to a duel!"

I almost choked on air.

"Ehhh?!" The whole school was flabbergasted at her spontaneous request. Even the Principal was staring at her with an incredulous expression.

I face palmed at her comment. Couldn't she say something more normal? Who would have the nerves to agree to the sparring request from the champion's daughter?!

"Sure," Ash replied bluntly, and this time, I really did choke. Even May seemed to be taken back by his blunt answer.

"EEEHHHHHHHHH?!" The whole school was now in utter chaos.

"You better not cry when I beat you up," May said confidently. "If I win, then you will have to go down to C-Class and call all of the S-Class students "senpai" and do whatever we say."

She didn't even try to hide her smug grin as the whole school gasped at the conditions.

"Hey, May, that's going a bit too far!" Misty exclaimed, "he won't accept your challenge if you throw such a hardcore bet!"

May glanced over to Ash, who seemed to not pay much attention to the current situation. Despite his physical presence in the assembly hall, it felt his mind was somewhere far away, unreachable by the rest.

"So, is it a deal?" she asked.

"Sure." Although he wasn't looking at her, Ash responded with question of his own. "And if I win?"

May blinked in surprise. She wasn't expecting him to actually pay attention to her words because of all the wondering around he was doing.

"Then I'll accept you as a S-Class student—if you can win, that is." Her words were overflowing with confidence.

"Kay," Ash replied, "this is another way to pass time, I guess. Let's do it."

"I'LL BE THE JUDGE!" Iris's fluffy hair popped up into the scene as she emerged in the middle of the two.

Since when did she get there?!

"Ahem," she cleared her throat and put on a fake mustache, causing the whole school to sweat-drop.

"That girl..." I face-palmed myself while Serena giggled.

"Okie, the battle between the transfer student Ash Ketchum and the S-Class student May Maple begins... Now!"

"How did this even happen?" I muttered to myself.

———

[edited x2]

SO DID YOU LIKE IT? REMEMBER TO COMMENT WHO YOU THINK SHOULD BE WITH ASH IN THE END BECAUSE THAT WILL CHANGE THE STORY PROGRESS!!