Chapter 34 - Ray of Hope

After what seemed like hours of sitting in the darkness, the screen suddenly lit up. Ash lifted his head just the slightest to adjust his eyes to the sudden light source.

"She won't last very long."

Those five words nearly made Ash's heart stop. His breath hitched in his throat and it was suddenly hard to breath. The raven haired boy curled his hand into fists, whitening his bruised knuckles.

This can't be happening.

He watched as Misty and the others collapsed onto their knees, tears streaming down their face. His eyes was locked on the screen as he witnessed all his friends devastations and pain. It was frightening. He couldn't believe it, Serena Yvonne, the girl that's like a blooming flower to everyone, the girl that always smiles no matter what, the girl that made him feel different...

...was going to die?

"No." he thought as he wiped away his tears.

"No." He said, this time out loud.

"NO." The jet haired boy yelled out, his voice echoing the dark space, filled with determination.

He wasn't going to let this game end. Not now, not ever.

This wasn't a game anymore—it's reality.

Immediately, all of the nerves in his body jolted awake. All the voices that was muted from before now came flooding back to him like a barrage of water.

"I know you're probably hiding in your own little world right now, so I'm going to say this loud and clear. Don't hide from reality, face it head on! If your past is stopping you from moving on, then let go of it."

"That's right, if you're not going to come out of that world of your, we'll have to drag you out!"

"Come back to reality Ash, this isn't like you."

"Exactly! Get a hold of yourself already! We solve problems together, that's what friends are for!"

Friends.

Ash let out an light chuckle, not a bitter one, nor a sad one, but surprisingly, a genuine one. One that he haven't let out in years. He was always searching for people he could trust, people who could embrace him for who he is. But it was so close to him all along. Ash ran a hand through his messy raven hair.

"I'm such an idiot."

Now everything came together. Ash always thought that Silver betrayed him, but now he understood why. He was just like his dad. Before he met the girls, Ash was always conflicted with himself, scared that he might be hurt again, he feared trusting others, but he was wrong.

What's life without any ups and downs?

Silver made the mistake of being scared to take risks, and that caused him to go down the wrong path. Even now, he could still be in controversy with himself. The rave haired boy stood up and took a deep breath. He wasn't going to make the same mistake as his dad did.

He's going to let go of his past and take a step forward.

"I won't betray you. No matter what is going to happen in the future, I'll always be there for you."

He closed his eyes, recalling Serena's words. His eyes opened again, now full of determination.

"Wait for me, Serena."

Just as Ash was about to try to bust the box open, a figure flashed in front of him. It was only for a brief moment, but he saw it.

It was a man with jet black hair.