8

Lani

"Lani, that man is fine." Zoe said.

I sighed. "I know right."

"Hey Lani." He said bringing me into a hug.

"Hey." I said into his arms. My cousin cleared her throat and we pulled away from each other.

"Hi I'm Zoe." She smiled reaching out her hand.

"This is my crazy ass cousin." I mumbled and he laughed.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Trey." He shook her hand. "C'mon, let me introduce you to ma boys."

We followed behind him. The entire way over to them my heart pounded I was afraid they were going to judge me, give me weird stares and think I'm too young, or maybe even start drilling me with questions.

Trey walked up and the guys came to a cease when they saw him with us. "I wanna introduce y'all to somebody. This is a friend of mine her name is Kehlani, and this is her cousin Zoe."

"Hi." we said together.

"This is my brother Forrest, and my friends Jay, Brandon, and August."

"How you doin'?" Jay said and the others waved except for Forrest.

"You not gon' speak Forrest?" Trey asked.

He side eyed Trey and then looked at us. "Wassup?" He said dryly.

I gave a faint smile since his demeanor made me feel uneasy.

"Yo Trey, lemme holla at you for a second." He said and they walked off.

"So how long have y'all known Trey?" Zoe asked trying to break the ice.

Trey

"Trey what the hell you doin'?"

I narrowed my eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"I mean them young ass girls you bringin' around."

"Man chill, it ain't even that deep, and you sayin' young like you're not nineteen, just chill."

He stepped back eyeing me. "I swear I feel like I'm the older brother. Trey the minute you do somethin' or say somethin' they don't like th-"

"Look bro, she not like that aight, and we don't even do anything out of the ordinary, so chill."

"Mhmm, aight don't say I didn't warn you."

Lani

Trey walked back over to me smiling.

"You ready to hit the water."

"Yea." I smiled a little nervous.

****

We were on the beach for a good while, Zoe and I were really startin' to warm up to Trey's friends. Jay came back from excusing himself for a phone call.

"So Lauren is on her way." Jay said.

They all sighed roughly, either rolling their eyes or sucking their teeth.

"What's wrong with her, who is she?" I asked.

"Jay's girlfriend." Trey said to me.

"Man I swear she stay on her period daily, she always complainin' and commentin' on shit." August said.

"C'mon man, that's ma girl."

"Sorry bruh, but its true." Brandon chimed in.

"Look, she's nice you just gotta get on her good side." Jay said.