9

Lani

I sat at table and waited for Trey to show up to the ice cream parlor. I looked at my phone repeatedly for messages but nothing. Its been about two weeks since we went to the beach and Trey and I have been getting closer, but nothing intimate of course.

I felt hands go over my eyes. "Guess who?"

"Come on Andrew stop playin'." I joked.

"Who?" He asked pulling his hands from my eyes quickly.

I laughed turning to face him. "Hi Trey." I stood up and he side eyed me. I smacked my lips. "I was just playin' Trey." I opened my arms for a hug and he pulled me close. I wrapped my arms around his torso and closed my eyes. "You smell good."

He chuckled and I let him go. "Thanks Lani." He said and we walked to the window to order. "So why'd you call me out this late?"

"I wanted somethin' sweet and I didn't want to come out by myself." I said.

"Mhmm, what you want?" He asked looking up at the menu.

I smiled. "You don't have to-"

"Yea I know, but I want to, so what'chu want?" He asked standing behind me.

"Can I have a large blue raspberry slushy please?" I asked the man behind the counter.

The guy nodded. "And you sir?"

"Three scoops of Cookies 'n' Cream please."

"Comin' up." He said and went to make our orders.

After a few minutes the guy came back with our orders. "Thanks." I said and stepped aside so Trey could take care of the bill. We walked back to the table and sat when he was finished paying.

"So my birthday comin' up..."

"Okay." He shrugged. I smacked my lips and he laughed. "So what you gonna do?"

I shrugged. "Probably go to Oakland."

"You're gonna drive, all the way to Oakland?" He asked before eating a spoonful of ice cream.

I nodded. "Yea, probably go Downtown and shop, then go to East Oakland."

"East Oakland, what's in East Oakland?" He asked shocked.

"My grandmother, I haven't seen her in a while and I wanna visit her."

"So, why can't your dad go with you?"

"No!" I said shaking my head.

He narrowed his eyebrows. "Why not?"

"My grandmother and my dad cannot stay in the same room for any reason, she despises him with a passion."

"Why?"

I sighed. "She blames him for my mothers death." I said and he stared at me blankly. "My dad used to take trips with his friends up to Oakland and he met my mom, time passed one thing led to another, they got it in and mommy was pregnant wit' little ole' me." I laughed. "But, while he got my mom pregnant he was already in a relationship, with my ungrateful sister's mother, Olivia." I paused and played with my straw. "So he filled my mom's head with false hopes, because he told her that, he was gonna leave Olivia and be with her, but it never happened." I sighed. "So she stressed, I was born premature, and she died in the process."

"Damn."

"Yup, but I just wish that she would forgive him, when he told me the story he sounded so sincere in his apologies and I just wish she would believe him like I do, you know." I said and he nodded.