10

Lani

"Dad?"

"Yes problem child."

"Okay one I am not a problem child." I laughed. "And I wanted to talk to you about my birthday plans for this weekend."

"Okay, is it gonna cost me money?" He asked looking at his phone.

"No."

"Then I'm all ears." He said plainly.

I sucked my teeth. "Anyway, I want to go to Oakland, to go shop around and visit grandma Cecilia."

"And I'm guessing you were planning on going by yourself, because you know that woman does not like me." He said. 

"Well not by myself but with Zoe and Tory."

"Three teenagers going to Oakland and over to East Oakland for that matter, I don't know."

"I guess I'll do something here then." I said standing up from the couch.

"I didn't say no, I just said I don't know." He said not looking up from his phone. "You can go, just be careful." He said and I smiled.

"Thank you daddy." I said. I fell on the couch and threw my arms around him.

"Alright alright , I get it you love me I love you too now let me go."

I laughed and got up to go to Zoe's room.

"Aight I'll see you in a minute." She said cheesing hella hard before hanging up the phone. "Wassup?"

"Nothing, who was that?" I asked before closing her door. I sat on the bean bag chair in the corner of her room.

"Rakim." She smiled.

"That nigga-"

"Lani don't start please."

"Look I didn't come in to talk about him, but I do have some plans for my birthday."

"What?" She smiled.

"We're going to Oakland, you, me Tory, and Trey."

"Wait, Trey is going?"

"Yea, I asked him last night." I said.

"Does uncle Shemar know he's goin'?" She asked and I stared at her. "Lani-"

"Okay no I didn't ask, but what he doesn't know won't hurt him."

"And sometimes what you don't mention will bite you in the ass." She said and I sighed. "Anyway where we stayin' cause I know we not comin' back the same night."

"I have enough money saved up to get us one night in a Best Western."

She screwed up her face. "Best Western though."

"Girl fix ya face, that's the closest you'll get to luxury if its comin' from my pocket."

"But its four of us in one room." She whispered.

"You got money for another room?" I asked and she shook her head. "Then stop complainin'."

"Whatever, did you say Tory was comin'?"

"Yea why." I smirked.

She shrugged. "He's weird." She whined.

"No he's not, Tory is chill as hell."

"Maybe around you, but whenever I see him he always gives some awkward compliment." She said.

"That was when we were like fourteen." I defended.