16

Lani

Once I reached in front of the apartment building I parked my car and grabbed the two Foot Locker bags in the backseat.

Quito's gonna be so happy. I thought to myself.

Walking up the concrete walkway I stopped in front of the door, fiddling with my keys.

I glanced to the right, doing a double take seeing that Laila was all in some varsity jock face that I recognized from our school.

"Just mind your business Lani, do you boo, do you." I mumbled before walking in the house. I saw Olivia sitting on the couch, with a cigarette, of course, looking hungover. "This should be fun." I said lowly smiling.

I kicked the door shut causing her to jump and hold her head. "What the fuck is your problem?" She yelled.

"My hands are full." I said holding up the two Foot Locker bags in each hand. She glared at me and turned back to the TV that was playing lowly. I laughed to myself and walked in farther. "So what rock you been hidin' under Liv?" I asked and she ignored me. "Mmm, I was just tryna make conversation."

"Well you can do me a favor and shut the fuck up, how 'bout that?"

"Ooo, feisty." I chuckled jogging up the stairs. I knocked on Qutio's door.

"Who is it?"

"Your favorite sister." I said and he opened the door smiling.

He stepped aside and I walked in, he closed the door quickly and tucked a few old t-shirts under the door.

"What's that for?" I asked.

He scrunched up his face. "The cigarettes, I don't like the smell so I tried this." He explained.

"Oh okay."

"What did you get in Foot Locker?" He asked referring to the bags in my hand.

I handed him the bag. "Open it."

He took the bag and sat on his bed, opening it he took out the box. A smile grew when he saw that it was a Jordan box. He flipped the lid open and tore the paper off.

"Yooo! Lani you got the Maroons!" He hollered.

"I know!" I laughed. "You're welcome."

"Oh, thank you." He smiled.

My phone buzzed in my pocket and I took it out seeing I had a message from my dad, telling me to meet him at some address in the Crenshaw Terrace apartments.

"Who's that?"

"Damn nosy." I said and we laughed. "If you must know its daddy, I think he finally bought a place and wants to show me."

"Can I come?"

"Yea." I said standing up from his bed. "We're walking though because its up the street.

"That's cool."

"Aight get some shoes on, I'ma put this down and we can leave."

"Aight." He said.

I left his room going to mine and put my bag away, somewhere Laila wouldn't get to.

Quito and I made our way out the front door. As we got closer to the apartments I took out my phone to see the address that he sent.

'3327' was the number that was in the text.

Once we reached the porch of that apartment the door was opened so we walked in. I saw my dad in there on his phone waiting. This encounter is a little awkward because I haven't spoken to my dad since last Sunday's incident at the mall about Trey.