12

Lani

Trey and I came back from a walk around the neighborhood and we saw Tory on the phone leaning against my car.

"Word, that's dope!" He exclaimed.

I narrowed my eyebrows and looked at Trey as he looked at me. "Wonder what that's all about." I said voicing my thoughts.

"Ard thanks G!" He said before hanging up. "Aye Lani you got ya keys on you?"

"Yea." I said reaching in my pocket.

"G just sent my song completed, and I wanna listen to it."

"Really!" I asked and he nodded. "That's great Tory." I unlocked the doors of my car and got in to start it. I hooked his phone up to the AUX cord. I sat in the driver's seat with the door open and Tory did the same with the passenger side. Trey leaned against the car and the song began.

"Who'd you get to sing the beginning?" I asked him.

"Some chick G recommended, I forget her name, but she sound dope?" He asked for confirmation.

"Yea her voice fits the part." I nodded.

"Pullin' in the S50, pullin' in the fuckin' S50 shawty, stuntin' in S50, stuntin' in the fuckin' S50 like, oooweee, who's he, these niggas is talkin' if they don't like it sue me." He sang before pumping his fist.

I smiled seeing Tory so happy, he's had it rough most of his life and to see him accomplish something like recording an original song made me happy for him.

I looked in the rearview mirror and saw that my aunt was pulling up in front of the house. I turned the volume down and I turned my car off making my way out. I hid behind Trey and waited for them to get out the car.

"Eva, quien diablos son ellos?" (Eva, who the hell are they?) I heard my grandmother say.

I poked my head out from behind Trey and my grandmother screamed before covering her mouth. "Ah Dios mio, Kehlani, que linda!" (Oh my God, Kehlani, so beautiful!) She cried reaching for a hug. "Where the hell have you been?" She slapped my arm.

"Ow abuela!" I said rubbing the spot she hit.

She side eyed me then looked up at Trey. She looked back at me and smirked. "Who's your friend?" She asked.

"Abuela this is Trey, and Trey, this is my grandmother, Cecilia."

"How you doin' Ms. Cecilia, nice to meet you?" He said reaching his hand out.

"Nice to meet you too." She smiled. "Muy guapo mami." (Very handsome mami.) I laughed shaking my head. "And this is?" She asked turning to Tory.

"My other friend Tory."

"How you doin' Ms. Cecilia?" He smiled.

"I'm good, I can't complain, but you guys come inside." She said limping away.

"You need help Ms. Cecilia?" Trey asked.

"Yes please,thank you." She said locking arms with him. She looked back at me winking.

I shook my head. "Your mother is something else Eva." I laughed.

I went back to lock the car door before going in and meeting up with everyone else. They were all on the couch talking but Zoe was still upstairs.

I went to the room that she was in and knocked on the door. "Come in." She answered.

"Wassup, why you bein' so anti social?" I asked walking in.