13

Lani

The next morning I woke up early as usual. I've never been the type to sleep in, it's very rare.

I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face. After my morning routine I went down to the kitchen and started pulling out some things from the fridge.

I looked in just about every cabinet for a frying pan since everything was switched up around here. Just as I was standing up I saw a basket that was filled with plantains.  (A/N: Highkey good af btw.)

I took one out of the basket and set it aside. I went to the pantry and took out the bottle of cooking oil before going to the sink and washing my hands.

*********
Placing the slices of plantains in the oil, I stepped back a little since the oil was popping.

I jumped a little when I felt Trey's body press against mine. I smiled to myself once he kissed my shoulder. "Good morning." I glanced back at him.

"Mornin', happy birthday." He smiled. "What'chu in here burnin'?" He said.

I sucked my teeth and faced him. "Thank you, and excuse you don't insult me, I know how to cook." I rolled my eyes.

"Mhmm, why you fryin' a banana?" He asked scrunching up his face.

"It's not a banana it's a plantain, it's like the brother to a banana." I explained while turning the slices over. I took some of the slices out since they were turning a golden color. "Try one." I said.

"I will, why you puttin' them on a paper towel?"

"So it can soak up the excess oil." I said. He walked over and picked one up taking a bite. "Good right?" I asked and he nodded.

******

After making breakfast for myself and Trey, we finally sat down to eat.

"You know what's sad?" I asked.

"What?" 

"I cooked on my birthday."

"Aye made the pancakes."

"After I begged you Trey." I said and he laughed.

"I still made them though." I shook my head. "Wassup with this Lakers t-shirt?"

I smiled. "Oh you like, I got it for like seven dollars in Forever 21."

"No I don't."

I narrowed my eyebrows. "Why?"

"Warriors all day baby."

"Oh please, if it wasn't for that Curry chicken dude ya little Warriors team wouldn't be all that."

"Have respect for ma team Lani."

"And if I don't?" I bit my lip.

He smirked. "Don't tease me." He said leaning in.

"Buenos dias, I see you two are up early." My grandmother said coming into the kitchen causing us to back away quickly. "Happy Birthday linda." (Beautiful) She said smirking at me. 

I cleared my throat and smiled. "Thank you abuela." I said and she nodded.

"Que hizo plantanos?" (Who made plantains?) 

"That would be me." I raised my fork slightly.

"Mmm, do you like them Trey?" She smiled.

"Actually I do, but my question is can you eat them raw, without cooking or frying them?"