17

Wednesday Morning

Kehlani

"I'm getting ready now so I'll be there shortly Quito."

"Okay, later." He said before hanging up.

I grabbed my bag and keys and set them by the door. I went over to my shoe boxes and picked up my white double buckle Birkenstock cork sandals.

I slid my feet in the sandals before heading out the door with my stuff. I locked the door and headed to my car making my way up the street to get Quito.

I honked the horn and Quito came rushing out followed by Laila. I unlocked the door for him and he slid in. I rolled down the window and called to Laila.

"What!" She barked.

I rolled my eyes. "Do you need a ride?"

"I have one already." She said, attitude clear in her voice.

I rolled up the window and pulled off. "See what I get for trying to be nice?" I said to no one in particular.

"Why do you two always argue?" Quito questioned.

"Because your mother doesn't like me, so since she doesn't like me, Laila feels obligated to dislike me as well."

"That's dumb."

"Tell me about it." I muttered.

"Why doesn't mom get along with you?"

"Because, ever since I came to LA I've been a constant reminder to your mother of daddy's infidelity."

"Oh, what's infidelity?" He asked looking my way.

I glanced over at him and smiled. "Don't worry about it Quito, in the meantime you worry about having a good first day, okay?"

"Yea." He smiled.

"A'right."

Shortly after our conversation I pulled up in front of his school.

"Thanks Lani."

"No problem baby boy have a good day."

"Thanks, can you pick me up today please?"

"Yea no problem."

"Thanks, later Lani." He said before taking off towards the school doors.

*********

Trey

"Hello"

"Good Morning, may I please speak to Tremaine Neverson?"

"Speaking."

"Oh hi, this is Mrs. Ingrid from the South Los Angeles school district, I hope I caught you before you left your home."

"Hello, and yes I was just about to head out."

"Great, I was just calling to let you know that there has been a mix up in the office paperwork and you were assigned to the wrong school."

"Is that right?"

"Yes, I'm sorry for the inconvenience."

"Oh that's fine, just as long as I'm not out of a job its all good." I said and we laughed.

"Well you don't have to worry about that, you'll just be relocated to a different High School."

"Okay, which one?"

"Inglewood High." She said.

"Alright, thank you."

"You're welcome, and once again sorry for the mix up."