First Date

Kim's pov

Mom hugs me. "I'm sorry I didn't call. You must've been so worried." I say, crying. "Nonsense, you were taking care of Adeline. She mattered more than calling me." Mom says, her hands on my shoulders. "Thanks mom." I say, hugging her again. "Well, I do have to call Ben. He is her dad after all." I mumble, dialing. "Hello?" "Hey Ben." "Hey, what's going on? You sound like you've been crying." "I-I have, Ben. Addy, she's been in an a-accident." "What?! What happened?" "I'll explain when you get up here." "Ok see ya soon." "You too." I get off the phone and cover my eyes with my hands, tears streaming down my cheeks. Someone hugs me. I open my eyes. Jason. I hug him back. "Thanks so much for everything." I whisper. "No need to thank me darlin'." He says, rubbing my back. I hear my name. "It's Ben." He nods and takes a step back. Ben walks through the doors. "What the hell happened?" He asks, terrified. "I was on my way to pick her up from school. And for some unknown reason she was on the sidewalk. Please don't yell at her. She's been through enough." I say. "Yell at her? You're an idiot. I won't yell at my angel! But you, you let this happen!!" He screams. Crap. "I didn't. The school let her out. She's gonna be okay though!" I cry. He rears his fist back and I hide my head but the punch never comes. I look up and Ben struggles against Jason holding his fist back. He flings him back and he stumbles, bumping into the wall. "Someone tries to lay a hand on a woman, I'll whoop their ass." He growls. Ben doesn't try to fight back. He just walks by into her room. "I'll deal with you later!" He growls. I sigh. "It's okay. He won't hurt you." Jason says, patting my head. I smile. "Thanks." "There's 2 things I'll go to jail for in any country, city or state." He says, "a man hits a woman, I'll knock him out and if a guy breaks into my home with my family inside, I'll shoot him on the spot. And when the cops come to arrest me, I'll put my hands behind my back and say read me my rights." "A proud gun owner, huh?" I say with a smirk. He blushes and nods. "Guns don't kill people. Stupid people kill people. Oh and people keeping the stupid people in proper population." He jokes. I do laugh. "You're really funny." He smiles. "I try to be." He says. Ben comes back out glaring at us. "You can expect a call from my lawyer." He growls, a finger in my face. Jason smacks it away. "I think it's best you get your ass outta here before I gotta kick you out." He warns. Ben slams his arm down and stomps out. "What a jerk." Jason mutters. I nod. "Hey, you probably haven't eaten. Let's go get something to eat." He says. I smile. "Thanks. I'll go tell Addy." I walk back in her room but she's asleep again, sucking her thumb. "I'll see you later, my little angel." I whisper, kissing her forehead. I turn to leave. "Mama?" She whispers. I turn back around. "Are you going on a date with Mr. Jason?" She asks. My face gets real hot. And I get choked up. He laughs from the doorway, making me even redder. "Yeah, we're going out on a date." I say, smirking. He stops laughing, caught off guard. "Isn't that right, Mr. Jason?" I tease. He smiles. "That's right. Now let's get going." He says. "You go to sleep. I'll tell you everything when I get back." I turn around. "Well, what are we waiting for? We've got a date to go to." I say, still teasing him. We go out to his truck. "This isn't a real date, is it?" I ask. "It is if you want it to be." He says, holding my hand and driving somewhere to eat. In two minutes, he has me laughing and joking like there's no tomorrow. "And ya know I ain't complainin'. That's George Strait. I'd rather be mistaken for him then Luke any day." He says, laughing. "You've certainly been around." "5 long years in Nashville and nothin' but great experiences." He says, sighing happily.

Jason's pov

This is probably the hardest I've laughed in a while and it only makes me laugh harder when she snorts and gets really red about it. "You're funny." She has such red cheeks right now. It's just adorable. "I noticed the ring on your finger. Your wife won't be mad?" She asks. I turn red this time. "Oh no, I don't have a wife. I just forgot to take it off." I mutter. "What happened?" She asks. "I was actually gonna get married today but she left me at the altar." "Oh man, Jason, I'm so sorry." "It all worked out. If that didn't happen, I wouldn't have been at the bus stop and who knows what would have happened." "I guess everything happens for a reason." "I know right." She laughs again and the time just flies by. When she glances at her watch. "Oh man, it's 2 in the morning!" She cries standing up. I smile and stand up too. "If it's 2 in the morning and your feelin' lonely and wonderin' what I'm doing, go ahead and call me, call me, call me. You don't have to worry about it baby. You can wake me up in the dead of the night, wreck my plans baby, that's alright." I sing. She giggles. "My legendary friend Luke Bryan." I say. "Is that an invitation?" She asks. "Only if this is." I say, kissing her. I break the kiss and finish the chorus. "This is a drop everything kinda thing, swing on by I'll pour you a drink, the doors unlocked, I'll leave on the lights baby you can crash my party anytime." I dip her and kiss her again.

*later*

Kim's pov

I walk back inside my daughter's hospital room. "How'd it go?" She asks, sitting up. "You're supposed to be asleep." I tease. She giggles. "I had a great time." "I like him. He's fun and nice." "Glad to have the approval." He says in the doorway. My cheeks get red. I glance over and he's smiling. He makes my heart race. I hope to have another night like that.